Anti-virus

Last Updated:

1. loveandroid

loveandroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there any point with it? The chances of getting a virus are small and if needed just do a periodic scan while connected to your pc.
    But what is y'all opinion? Anyone ever got a virus?

Advertisement
  2. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

Id like to know this too... I have read that Android does not get virus targetting, but find this a little dificult to believe as any app from outside of the market could contain malicious code. We often read about users having difficulties with apps remaining online and so forth, and therefore that which is possible through a bug is possible through programming.

Let's get empirical: who has experience of virus/spyware/malware on Adroid devices?

3. 1981

1981 Well-Known Member

I use an app 'LOOKOUT', nyways. seems ok so far. presumed-protection for a new device feels betr, rite

4. loveandroid

loveandroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is it worth it? space and memory wise used by the anti-virus VS use a pc antivirus to scan and clean+ no memory or space usage?

5. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

It's not worth it, what are they even checking for? I believe most "virus scanners" for android are nothing more than guff, until i can see some proof otherwise.

6. FelixofMars

FelixofMars Well-Known Member

Agreed, I think most people that have them on are getting a placebo effect of that if something happened they would be protected. I haven't heard of anything being in the wild for android phones and the Linux architecture is usually a little more robust that Windows.

7. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

Android is built off Linux which is highly unlikely to get viruses because of the way it's built. Anti-Virus software for Linux exists purely to scan files before they're sent to Windows machines, just to be nice.

I can't imagine what the Anti-Virus software for Android does.

8. delinear

delinear Well-Known Member

Agreed, so long as you're backing up your valuable data you'll be okay anyway, but until I see some verified reports of actual viruseses (virii?) in the wild on Android (and I don't mean socially engineered attacks where malicious developers get a user to install an app directly instead of through the marketplace which turns out to be infected), I won't waste the resources.