• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help AntiShake Camera?

Is there a way to get the auto expose to stay set at a certain level like on my regular camera? I'll try to explain - if there is too much light the parts of the picture not in the light come out too dark and you can't see them. On my camera, I move it until the dark area fills the screen and let the auto-focus, auto-exposer set, then press the button down half-way. Then I move the camera back to where I want to take the picture and press the button all the way down. The light area is over-exposed, but the dark areas are now visible.

There's no way to hold down the trackball half-way. I've tried pressing on the screen to auto-focus, but it won't stick when I move the camera. It just redoes it again.

I also have trouble taking a picture by pressing the screen. Can't quite figure out the exact sequence to make it happen. sometimes it takes, sometimes it doesn't, and I never know exactly when the click is going to happen, if it ever does, so I usually just give up and press the button.

Upvote 0
kayst, You're talking about Auto-Exposure Locking.

That is what tapping the screen accomplishes. But it sounds like you're not quite understanding based on this line:
I've tried pressing on the screen to auto-focus, but it won't stick when I move the camera.
You don't "move the camera" after you tap the screen.

The idea is that you can press *anywhere* on the screen, not just the middle.

Try this:

1. Go to Settings and change Metering Mode to Spot*.
  2. Compose your picture (get it lined up in the "viewfinder" AKA the screen)
  3. Tap on the area that you want to be correctly exposed - either the light area or dark area. (This also determines the part of the photo that will be auto-focused on.)
  4. Either press the trackball or just press and hold the area of the screen that you selected in step 3
Viola.

Reactions: kayst
Upvote 0
kayst, You're talking about Auto-Exposure Locking.

1. Go to Settings and change Metering Mode to Spot*.
  2. Compose your picture (get it lined up in the "viewfinder" AKA the screen)
  3. Tap on the area that you want to be correctly exposed - either the light area or dark area. (This also determines the part of the photo that will be auto-focused on.)
  4. Either press the trackball or just press and hold the area of the screen that you selected in step 3
Viola.
That's exactly what I needed! Thanks so much. Now, it not only does the exposure correctly, but it also takes the pictures every time when I press the screen, which it didn't do before. The Metering Mode to Spot was the key.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones