• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Antivirus on the Xperia X8 - Do we need it?

gabeyong

Android Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2011
Hi,

Read about some apps that were embedded with trojan viruses on android phones, so I did some research on antivirus apps on the Xperia X8. Personally, I am not quite sure... I have been using an iPhone past 5 years and a MacBook Pro for the last 7 years without antivirus (naked?) without any problems.

However, the conclusion out there in the world wide web is better to be safe than sorry.

There are lots of antivirus apps out there, while some are free some are not. I have reviewed 2 apps that did NOT "drink lots of battery juice" and do NOT use a lot of resident memory.

AVG Antivirus for Android Phones

Security
- Scan whole device and identify and remove viruses with a simple click
- Automatic scans can be run weekly, daily, or on demand
- Check apps for malware before downloading from app stores
- Check website content, emails, and SMS for malware before downloading to device

Theft protection
- Locate lost or stolen device using GPS
- Create and display message on screen remotely
- Lock device and wipe content
- Manage applications remotely

SMS Spam Protection
- Protection from SMS Spammers
- All SMS checked in real time for malicious content and spam
- SMS spam blocked at source

antivirusforandroidmobi.png

Lookout Mobile Security

Security
- scans sms, mms, and emails for viruses real-time
- scheduled security and privacy scans
- reviews apps that access your data like contacts, location, messages and personal information

Backup
- secure and seamless backup of your mobile data, automatically over the air
- data backed up to the cloud to easily access/restore data from web browser

Missing Device
- locate missing phone on a map from PC or another smartphone
- sound the alarm! Even if phone is on silent
- remote lock and wipe

Management
- get updates to phone automatically over the air
- manage your data and up to two phones over the air

overviewphone.jpg

Bottomline: To antivirus or not to antivirus that is the question?

What's your opinion? Are you running an antivirus app on your Xperia X8?

cheers :)

Do or Do not... there is no Try - Yoda

Hey all,
Running AGV for a month now, looks cool and dose work well.
If your phone is not rooted, which your normal x8 is not, then there is not a real need for it.
The only "virus" action that could accor is your phone sending data with personal info and web cases.
My x8 is rooted, which means i could get a virus that would do harm to the phone, seen it is rooted i have a backup of my entire phone, which would fix any virus problems,
Some apps can cause virus programs to flag them, expecialy if they help you change settings or wallpaper.
I recommend AVG because it lets you see data traffic in the notifiction bar, and i like seeing my phone do stuff lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones