1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Antivirus/Spyware/Malware ProtectionGeneral

1. zero260

zero260 Member

I have the Samsung Galaxy S 2 LTE on Rogers Wireless in Ontario, Canada. I've read a few different theories and on this and wanted to know if you guys think a anti-virus app is necessary for the phone? and if so which one would you recommend?

Advertisement
  2. Riche101

Riche101 VIP Member VIP Member

It is worth it I use Avast
  3. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

IMHO anti virus app's are a waste of time.

In recent tests, most of the free anti virus app's could not detect 9 out of 10 viruses and malware whilst the best one of all only managed a 32% detection rate. Even paid versions only managed about a 50% detection. Compare this to computer anti virus programmes that have around a 98% detection rate.

Also, let's not forget that these are only effective against known viruses and malware and, like all anti virus software, offer no protection against new and unknown malware.

See here:-

Android antivirus apps are useless, here’s what to do instead | ExtremeTech

and here:-

Popular free antivirus apps for Android fail anti-malware tests | ZDNet

Worst case scenario is that these so-called anti virus app's can lead the user into a false sense of security and they become complacent about installing anything and everything without checking first.

The best way of avoiding malware is by not being complacent or stupid and following these guidelines:-

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...explained-security-tips-avoiding-malware.html
  4. jwal

jwal Member

5. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

Just don't expect it to protect you from viruses. Their scans only pick up, if you are lucky, 1 in 9. So after a scan, that shows you have no malware on your phone or that an app is safe to install, you could, more often than not, be infected if it was malware.

If you want an app that locates your missing phone then Android Lost will do that for you.
  6. Guinhu

Guinhu Member

uh, I used to use Avast Pro, but after a while it started to suck up like 10% of my battery even If anyone was using it. So I ripped off the Avast..