Antivirus? who uses it?

Last Updated:

1. jamesmckeephx

jamesmckeephx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i have seen many posts for this but all old and such and none really evo. So i hear there is really no need for antivirus. is this true? cuz i know it eats a ton of my battery. Just seen a lot of mixed reviews on this subject so i thought id ask the pros :eek:

Advertisement
  2. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

You do NOT need them, not now at least. Come back on this subject in about a year or two. They only cause problems for now.

3. ThatNewAndroidGuy

ThatNewAndroidGuy Well-Known Member

4. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

I use lookout as an anti-virus. The app also has backup and locating capabilities. I know that I probably don't need it but better safe than sorry I suppose. I also have mobile defense enabled just in case I lose my phone.

5. Lusant2

Lusant2 New Member

I had it on but took it off cuz it slows the phone alot and drains the battery-vibrant

6. jamesmckeephx

jamesmckeephx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I did look at all these don't worry I know how to use the search, I hate when people say that. One all those posts are old and two I was wondering who uses em on the evo and how it kills the battery? And I have heard there have been cases of.viruses on phones now

7. VIO

VIO Well-Known Member

The only "viruses" that have been discovered so far could barely be considered such, privacy concerns perhaps, but mostly it is the Anti-Virus companies that are pushing the "LOOK VIRUSES OFMG!!" mentality.

They android permission system for apps is sufficient currently if you actually look at them and make prudent decisions based on them; Wallpaper app asking for GPS settings, thats an uninstall/report. Wallpaper has no business knowing where I am (unless it is a live map wallpaper?)

Ultimately I'm not going to bother with the antivirus stuff until I see some hard evidence of true viruses, which I would consider the sort that can secretly root your phone, and gain permission to anything all while masquerading as a normal app with all the appropriate permissions for the "dummy" app.

That is possible now but I haven't heard of it happen, nor do I think any of these antivirus softwares can even protect against that, (hell with root the virus could just delete them)

What can you do against an app with more system permissions than the virus software? not much.