antivirus?Support

Last Updated:

1. dookie1

dookie1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i see a few antivirus offerings in the market, but don't hear much talk about the need for them on the android platform.

as a newbie to the platform, are they necessary? do they slow the OS down noticeably?

thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. maxnicks

maxnicks Well-Known Member

It's a handheld computer. I haven't heard of any exploits but what do I know?

I used Antivirus FREE by droidSecurity Inc for a few months. I then elected to buy their AntiVirus PRO version for $9.99. Quote from their website, "...Pro enables remote management of lost/stolen phones along with tracking of illicit phone usage in the case of theft."

You can get them on the Android Market. Search for "Antivirus Free" or "Antivirus Pro." The free version worked fine. With more than 250,000 downloads and 24,175+ ratings it holds a 4.24 avg.

Norton Security is also free. As I'd never use a Norton Product on my laptop, I wouldn't use one on my Handheld Computer.

Good Luck!

3. Kadgarth

Kadgarth Active Member

I've only heard of one exploit for any smart phone over the past few years and it was on the Iphone. I really wouldn't worry. You're not going to get a virus from a website, and as long as you only download apps that have had a few other downloads (i.e. a chance for them to be reviewed by peers as clean) you'll be fine.