antivirus

Last Updated:

1. chons08

chons08 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello to all I'm. New to the forum I got a DROID X my question is, should or is recommended download the antivirus.for android ..... thanks to everybody.

Advertisement
  2. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums :)

there are a few different security (antivirus) programs for android available in the market.... Lookout is among the more popular

however....... AFAIK there are currently no known virus' for android so there is really no reason you have to use one at all...... thats not to say there wont be a reason in the future..... as with any OS someone will eventually decide to write malicious code for android..... in the grand scheme of things its still a really new OS with limited market share so nobody has seen the value of attacking it yet

I personally always err on the side of caution.... so I use Lookout......... but I would say more important than worrying about antivirus software you should pay attention to permissions before installing an app...... and try to only use apps from developers that are generally known and trusted

3. Old Member

Old Member Well-Known Member

Welcome- The truth is the ABSOLUTE BEST virus protection is NO virus protection at this time. As Copestag said above ^ the market share isn't really large enough for anyone to attack it yet. The reason why Apple doesn't have to have virus protection is the same reason why Android doesn't at this time. It's not big enough to mess with yet, so hackers don't really try. Also, if you ever did get a virus, a system reset of your phone will wipe anything it has out.

Android is a Linux OS, and while I still don't know all of the ins and outs of it yet, from what I've read it's pretty secure in and of itself.

4. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

5. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

On the other hand, Apple does keep a pretty tight gripe on its market, something that Google doesn't do...