Any android mail clients with real exchange support?Support

Last Updated:

1. SgtBaxter

SgtBaxter Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Here's my issue:

Came from a windows mobile phone (sucks to be me, I know!).

However, one area winmo is obviously good at is exchange support. Here's what I mean:

I regularly receive and forward large attachments (PDFS - usually 10 megs or so), and the winmo phone made it easy to do so when out of the office. I'd just hit forward and away it would go. The phone would tell the exchange server to forward the mail, and it was done. The phone never actually downloaded any attachments to forward, unless of course I wanted to download it for viewing.

I've found this phone instead of just telling the exchange server to forward the message actually has to download the attachment, then resend the attachment. This is stupidity in it's fullest when working with a 10 meg attachment. Instead of taking a split second to forward something it'll take minutes to download, then minutes to upload, and obviously shorten battery life considerably.

So my question is - am I missing settings, or is the installed mail application not able to do so - and are there any android mail applications that will forward attachments off an exchange server without actually downloading the attachment first?

Advertisement
  2. jamesk84

jamesk84 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of your exact situation but I use Exchange by touchdown, nitrodesk.

I have used this program for a couple years and I like it allot. You can download it as a trial and see is ti fits the bill.

3. jamesk84

jamesk84 Well-Known Member

I just tried it with a 7mb file. Touchdown did the send and the forward fine. The droid's native exchange told me that the attachment was to big and I could not forward.

In fact it tells me that the file is to large to download I don't even see an option.

I think that touchdown will solve your problems

4. IHateMyTreo

IHateMyTreo Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, per Touchdown support, you can't forward anything without downloading it first to the phone. Here's what they said:

"you have to download the attachment to forward them. No size limit to attachments, but please note if you send a big attachment it is going to take a long time, both times." And later, "It’s something we’re working on, probably not in the next release, but possibly the follow-on update."

This is a real problem, which one would think would have been addressed for enterprise users (as well as those coming from Blackberries, where this function is part of EVERY BB, BIS and BES).

If anyone has a solution, please chime in.

5. IHateMyTreo

IHateMyTreo Well-Known Member

^^ Here is a further response from Touchdown support:

"Assuming you did not turn off smart replies in the last tab of settings and also assuming you are connecting with an Exchange 2007 or Exchange 2003 server in ActiveSync mode, you should be able to forward your attachments without downloading them first. However, with smart replies turned on, your replies will send out in plain text and not HTML. It is a trade off and you need to decide what works best for you and your business."

Can someone check to verify that this works?

6. doctajay

doctajay Well-Known Member

Download Roadsync by Dataviz. Its cheaper than Touchdown and syncs email, contacts and tasks.