• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Android Phones coming out for AT&T this year?

Ssssschwartz

Sep 17, 2009
I am on AT&T and just love Android. I have used a lot of my friend's Android phones and just like the uniqueness with the phones.

I was wondering if there were any rumors or confirmed phones with Android for AT&T, if not would you see it beneficial to maybe wait for an AT&T Android Phone, or I was looking into the HTC Hero and personally it's my favorite!

I have come to understand though that the HTC Hero doesn't support 3G in America or something of the like, and was wondering if that is something that could possibly be changed or if it isn't that big of a deal. I'm sure I'm not as much a power user as everyone else here, and just like the features like the information linking with Facebook, ect. and am not really about speed. (Put it this way, is there a way to show just how much of a difference 2G to 3G is?)

Sorry if it's a little much, but I would just love to have the information. :D

I am on AT&T and just love Android. I have used a lot of my friend's Android phones and just like the uniqueness with the phones.

I was wondering if there were any rumors or confirmed phones with Android for AT&T, if not would you see it beneficial to maybe wait for an AT&T Android Phone, or I was looking into the HTC Hero and personally it's my favorite!

I have come to understand though that the HTC Hero doesn't support 3G in America or something of the like, and was wondering if that is something that could possibly be changed or if it isn't that big of a deal. I'm sure I'm not as much a power user as everyone else here, and just like the features like the information linking with Facebook, ect. and am not really about speed. (Put it this way, is there a way to show just how much of a difference 2G to 3G is?)

Sorry if it's a little much, but I would just love to have the information. :D

maybe this will help you.

http://cellphones.about.com/od/phoneglossary/tp/1g2g3g4g.htm

but this sentence will help break it down for you "3G technologies enabled faster data-transmission speeds, greater network capacity and more advanced network services. "

Upvote 0
Chris, I think he is confused. It sounds like hes refering to the fact that the 3G on the GSM (Euro) Heros do not work on US Carriers 3G. They do work fine over Edge.

In short. The 3G radio isnt on the same frequency. Which is why you can port an unlocked iPhone from AT&T to T-Mo, but not use the 3G.

As per the question about AT&T getting an android. I think this is the long list. :)

Android Phone Fans Android Phones

Upvote 0
Chris, I think he is confused. It sounds like hes refering to the fact that the 3G on the GSM (Euro) Heros do not work on US Carriers 3G. They do work fine over Edge.

In short. The 3G radio isnt on the same frequency. Which is why you can port an unlocked iPhone from AT&T to T-Mo, but not use the 3G.

As per the question about AT&T getting an android. I think this is the long list. :)

Android Phone Fans Android Phones

OH! i thought he was saying he wants an android phone but is anxious on waiting so he wants to use a GSM hero and wanted to know if it was worth it to wait on an AT&T android or just use the hero on 2G

Upvote 0
Ok, thanks guys. :D I appreciate it! Anyway, so my data would be a little slower (2G, if I decided I wanted to get the Unlocked HTC Hero), but only when I use the cell-phones internet service? When I use wifi it will be whatever speed my wifi is though, correct?

My family is also currently thinking about switching to T-Mobile, and T-Mobile is GSM also, right? Meaning I could still use the HTC Hero, should I decide to get it, correct?

The only real thing that is holding me back is this 2G/3G thing... could someone please just explain a little bit for me. I understand 2G is faster then 3G, but what is it with the Hero? It just doesn't support American 3G signals or something like that?

Thanks again for answering all my questions! (I'm such an android noob.... :p)

Upvote 0
Ok, thanks guys. :D I appreciate it! Anyway, so my data would be a little slower (2G, if I decided I wanted to get the Unlocked HTC Hero), but only when I use the cell-phones internet service? When I use wifi it will be whatever speed my wifi is though, correct?

My family is also currently thinking about switching to T-Mobile, and T-Mobile is GSM also, right? Meaning I could still use the HTC Hero, should I decide to get it, correct?

The only real thing that is holding me back is this 2G/3G thing... could someone please just explain a little bit for me. I understand 2G is faster then 3G, but what is it with the Hero? It just doesn't support American 3G signals or something like that?

Thanks again for answering all my questions! (I'm such an android noob.... :p)

yeah when you use wifi it will be using that as your internet connection so yeah it will be using the wifi speed for the internet.

And yes the easy way to put it is it doesnt support AMERICAN 3G and it doesnt matter if youre tmobile or att itll be the same way.

Upvote 0
Thanks! :D I appreciate it! One last thing, if I were to get the HTC Hero, and use my AT&T SIM Card with it, would AT&T detect that and then force me to get a data plan or something like that... I just find that annoying because I personally don't need unlimited data and like where I'm at in terms of a cell-phone plan, so would AT&T force me into a data plan?

Upvote 0
Thanks! :D I appreciate it! One last thing, if I were to get the HTC Hero, and use my AT&T SIM Card with it, would AT&T detect that and then force me to get a data plan or something like that... I just find that annoying because I personally don't need unlimited data and like where I'm at in terms of a cell-phone plan, so would AT&T force me into a data plan?

I dont know if this is 100 percent correct but: as far i know the answer would be no if im wrong and someone else notices chime in please.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones