1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Any app to locate family through GPS?

Last Updated:

1. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there an app where I can locate other people (family members) through GPS? They have GPS on their phones as well. I have an Evo.

Advertisement
  2. Steve_S_T

Steve_S_T Well-Known Member

As long as you're all signed up with Google, and all logged into the app, then I think Latitude will do what you want.

3. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have this app, but I don't know how to add people I know. Do they have to install the app on their phone and then it will show me them?

4. Gareee

Gareee Well-Known Member

Someone else suggested cellflare to me.. it seems pretty good.

5. Steve_S_T

Steve_S_T Well-Known Member

It's all linked to Google accounts I think and your friends will need to have it on their phones (and turned on of course), and you all have to accept each other as friends and stalkers :D. We also have a Latitude widget on our google.co.uk/ig homepage and when I'm out cycling for example my family can see where I am from there.

Steve.

6. carassius

carassius Well-Known Member

Haven't used it and don't know much about it, but an app called Neer might be used for what you describe. It's in the market and I think is free.

Just looked it up and the website is neerlife.com

7. wmtoandroid

wmtoandroid Well-Known Member

Very cool! I wonder how it performs in the battery department vs. latitude.

8. Benzo

Benzo Active Member

EnRoute is a pretty neat app. It allows you to send anyone a weblink to a map that tracks your location. It's essentially the same as latitude however the recipient does not need a latitude acct as well, simply have access to the internet.

Another feature i like is that it is not always on and tracking your location.

9. wmtoandroid

wmtoandroid Well-Known Member

How is it on your battery life? The one thing I like about latitude is that it's on 24/7 and there's barely any battery usage. That's a huge plus for a location tracking/sharing app.

10. Benzo

Benzo Active Member

Doesn't noticably drain the battery however I've yet to use it for extended (>4 hours) period of time.

11. luke stepp

luke stepp Member

Any other opinions - our family will be at Disney World and I would much rather locate my family on a map than have to decipher where they are over the phone.

12. Copleo

Copleo Banned

"Latitude", guys! Is also very convenient to install on phones of older people with beginning Alzheimer's Disease. Sometimes they may not know where they are, but then you do!

13. dawankler

dawankler Well-Known Member

Neither is Lattitude if you don't want it to be. It's pretty easy to switch tracking on and off. You can also use the web version to check on people's location as well.

I'm not sure why you'd need anything but Lattitude. It's free (both the app and the accounts), hassle free, and, knowing Google, will get even more app integrations in the future.