• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any apps that shouldn't be moved to sdcard?

I have an xperia play and recently replaced the sd card with a 32 GB card. I copied everything from my old card to my laptop, put the new card in the phone, attached it via usb and then copied everything to the new card. I also moved some apps that I previously had on the phone to the card, although I now can't remember which, but basically every app that'd let me move it to the card, I did. Immediately I started seeing massive battery drain. I used to get 16 hours of battery life with my normal usage. Suddenly I get 3. I googled a ton and found some other references to this but in most cases the suggestions were either low signal is a battery drain or something was corrupt on the card. I reformatted the card (fat32) and then copied the contents back. Same problem. I have found that if I switch to wifi only and don't use 3G I can stretch the battery to 6 hours, but still nowhere near what I used to get. I haven't changed my usage habits or changed any settings. I do have autosync turned on, but I have always had that; besides gaming, that's why I use my phone. I need instant access to my work email no matter where I am. During the 3-6 hours of battery life I now get, 90% of that time, I am doing nothing with my phone. It receives my email, and I might look at them when they come in, do a quick google search here or there or maybe 10 minutes of phone calls. That's all. No gaming during the times in question.

When I look at the settings for what's using the battery it's split evenly between cell standby and phone idle. (40% each) with android system and display both coming in around 10%. I know signal might be an issue, but I've been in the exact same locations I was (work+home) before switching the card/moving the apps. So I don't know why suddenly signal would drain the battery 4x faster in the same place.

So now I'm wondering if maybe one of the apps I moved to the card is having issues because of it and thus draining the battery. Does anyone know if there are certain apps that can be moved to the card but shouldn't be? Or any other ideas?

Most of the time, when apps are moved to the SD card that shouldn't be, it simply causes them to cease functioning. In addition to launchers, the apps that have the widgets you're running shouldn't move, or anything that a developer hasn't enabled. Running apps from your SD card doesn't impact the battery as I suspect that you're thinking. You may have something wrong w/ the card (do you have a third one to try?) that's aggravating the issue, but it's not the apps that reside there.

Upvote 0
Based on your description, I'd say it's an app that's trying to start, and can't, because it's files aren't where it expects them to be. This would cause the processor to run excessively, and use up the battery.

I would uninstall apps one at a time till the problem disappears. (keep a list of what you uninstall so you can reinstall it later) This may take some time (days), but you'll find which app is at fault.

Upvote 0
I did end up uninstalling every app one by one. That didn't help. I did have hidden files and folders visible when I did the original copying, so I don't think I missed anything. I was hoping to avoid doing a factory reset, but did last night and it so far seems to have fixed the issue. I haven't reinstalled anything yet, just to be sure it stays working as before.

I do have one more question: I was using the stock keyboard before. After the factory reset, the keyboard looks totally different. The size of the buttons are different, the color, the font. A couple of the buttons are differently sized/shaped (shift and the symb button).

I don't mind it, but it was just surprising to me. I checked the keyboard settings and as far as I noticed there's nothing I can change that looked like it would alter the look of the keyboard. Was what I saw before probably something either Amazon (bought the phone from them) or Verizon had put on, and now I'm really on the stock keyboard?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones