Any apps to sync with a mac?General

Last Updated:

1. jund632

jund632 New Member This Topic's Starter

I have the HTC droid and was told by my salesperson there is an app to sync calendars, contacts with my mac. Anything out there

Advertisement
  2. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Well, there is The Missing Sync. I must say that I once used Missing Sync for Windows Mobile with my old phone but it was never 100% perfect; I kept having problems with calendar syncing getting messed up (particularly with recurring events.)

I eventually switched to syncing with Google Calendar (I use Spanning Sync, which works fine for me, but there is also an app called Busy Sync which does the same.) And I sync my Address Book with gmail contacts using the built-in facility within Address Book. So, moving to an Android phone was perfect. For SMS syncing, I am using an Android app called "SMS Backup" which copies all messages to a label in my gmail account, and if I were going to want to copy music or video to my phone I would use DoubleTwist on the Mac.

3. rb3350

rb3350 Member

I have a MacBook Pro and found Spanning Sync to be the best to sync my address book with Google Contacts which syncs with the Eris. Great results! You can also use it to sync the calendar. I never did get hooked into iCal I just use Googles calendar which of course syncs right into the phone is seconds.

4. pals

pals Member

Is spanning sync an app available in the android market for your eris, or is it something you need to download to your mac?
    I just searched for spanning sync in the app store and no luck

5. mhseris

mhseris Well-Known Member

6. pals

pals Member

Thanks!

So I see that it's a little pricey... ($25 for a year sub, $65 for one-time-purchase)...is this app really necessary? I'm a little lost on what I might lose if I update my phone version. I used App Manager to backup my apps, but that doesn't backup contacts, right? If it auto-syncs with gmail, I shouldn't lose anything, should I?

7. Pitamakan

Pitamakan Well-Known Member

There's not really a need for a third-party app if you just want to sync contacts and calendars, since you can configure the Mac's Address Book and iCal apps to automatically sync with their Google counterparts, and those will automatically sync with the Eris. And that way, you have your data in three places, rather than just two! :)

For an app that will sync media files and such with your Mac, take a look at doubletwist:

Sync Android, PSP, BlackBerry, Pre: doubleTwist with Amazon MP3