1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Any body else excited for Ubuntu's Phone OS???General

1. clenceo

clenceo Well-Known Member

Advertisement
    :
  2. Fuzzy13

Fuzzy13 Well-Known Member

3. mrpnut

mrpnut THE WORLD IS YOURS Guide

I'm digging that....I would love to put that on my note 2.
  4. allmanallpimp

allmanallpimp Well-Known Member

I am all about it
  5. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Hey, I moved this to the Galaxy Nexus forum, as that is what the link is discussing. Thanks for understand :)
  6. haxmethod

haxmethod Well-Known Member

I'm a long time Ubuntu user and when I heard the news about this last night I was instantly ready to make the switch.
  7. ZackyZombieface

ZackyZombieface Well-Known Member

Totally excited! Switching ASAP!
  8. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

if its for the gnex i wonder if theyll port it over to the n7 shortly after... im really looking forward to trying it out!!!
  9. MutantCheese

MutantCheese Well-Known Member

I'm always for something new. I've been running Ubuntu on all of my older laptops that just can't run Windows any longer and it's bee great so I'm anxious to try it on a mobile environment. Not sure if it would be my DD tho.
  10. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

I'll give it a look, see what it's all about once it's launched

I imagine it will probably be ported to the Nexus 4,7,10 since they're very similar software wise.
  11. Goftrey

Goftrey Member

I'll give it a go - but I'm not too sure on how app support is going to be on there. As this is going to be the 5th big player in the smartphone OS department, devs are going to have a hard time working on multiple apps, and on multiple OS's simultaneously.

It'd be nice if they could introduce a dual-boot option however.
  12. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

+1 so we dont have to mess up our current install. i would like to see phone (in the future) be sold like computers. you buy the phone and you buy the os... if you want to partition your hdd for duel boot you can :)
  13. twogbsd

twogbsd Well-Known Member

I've heard rumors that LG or ZTE will be making a phone just for Ubuntu.....
  14. GiantsCheated

GiantsCheated Member

15. thegreen

thegreen Well-Known Member

Just curious- (I'm a noob w/ linux distros) What are the advantages/reasons for installing Ubuntu instead of Android?

Other than 'just because you can,' of course...
  16. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

Well for me and my aging hardware it tends to run smother than windows does. Ubuntu generally takes less resources than windows does.
  17. thegreen

thegreen Well-Known Member

That makes sense, but what I meant to ask was about installing on a Nexus device, rather than a computer.
  18. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ # Moderator

All in.
  19. omnius

omnius Well-Known Member

I yawned so hard I dislocated my jaw. To date, only 20 million people have cared enough about ubuntu to download it since it came out. I think canonical has about the same number of employees as one Best Buy store. They'll be lucky to get maybe 40k subpar apps in their app store. They certainly won't be hiring the top of the class grads to go work for them, they'll get the leftovers after apple, MS, and Google take their picks. Thanks but NO thanks. Sense 5.0 on Jellybean blows this away by leaps and bounds. My personal opinion of Mark Shuttleworth's appearance reflecting on the company aside (find a razor, dress more professionally and lose the stubble and hippie belt buckle dude), the Ubuntu experience doesn't look like "the future of computing" to me. It looks sloppy and unprofessional. And boring. And that keyboard... Awful.
  20. chessboxxin

chessboxxin Active Member

Definitely! :cool: