• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any call blockers that actually works?

I've tried two call blockers already, they both were garbage. They don't even blocks calls, they just mutes them. Are there any real call blockers that actually work????

The one listed above may be good. I use "Mr. Number".

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mrnumber.blocker&hl=en

It's a free app. It has a database of spam numbers that people report, plus you can have it block anonymous numbers, and manually add numbers you don't want. Also blocks texts from those numbers.

Two ways to block:
  • have it immediately disconnect the call -- you don't even know they called. It disconnects the call before the phone even rings.
  • OR you can have the calls sent straight to voice mail without ringing.
I choose the first method. The only way I know someone tried to call is I left the "history" visible in the app. Doesn't even show up in the Android call log -- only shows up in the Mr. Number app history. But I don't even have to see that if I don't want. I can have it automatically delete the app history of blocked numbers. :D

I had a couple of companies trying to spam text me. I had one company kept calling but telling me to "wait for an important message". I googled the number -- some kind of sales call for home security. No more! ;)

==========
Besides blocking, they also offer a free caller ID service. Well, free if you agree to share your contact list with them. Status and blocking service is always free. If you don't want the Caller ID service, you don't have to use it. If you want the Caller ID service, you can pay for it or you can share your contact list to add to their database.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't want to be on your contact list. Feels like a betrayal of trust because they will most likely take their info and sell it to someone who will contact them through email/phone/social site/etc.

I thought about that... but then I realized they can use Mr. Number to block any spam! :p I'm joking. In their terms of service they say they do NOT do that. So,there's no betrayal.

============

Again, the Caller ID part is SEPARATE from the Blocking part. The blocking part (calls/texts) is totally free. You do not have to use the Caller ID feature if you do not wish.

If you do wish to use the caller ID feature, you can either pay for it or let your contacts be put in their database. So, there's TWO levels of opt in -- you have to say you want to use the Caller ID, then you have to say how you want to "pay" for it.

Ignoring the Caller ID feature, the Blocking features work well and you do not have to use anything else. Because users actively report spam calls/texts, you are protected from most spammers.

Here'a an example of a report:

http://mrnumber.com/1-800-594-2297

So, if this number tried to call you, Mr. Number would block it. With most other blocking apps, you have to manually add spam numbers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones