Any chance AT&T will reconsider blocking non market apps

Last Updated:

1. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was interested in trying the trillian beta for android but I can't install it. I get the same feeling that i get when i go to take a low light picture and realize i have no flash. Out of all the rooting, flashing, lag fixes and such, from what i've seen, enabling side-loading apps seems to be the most difficult hack of the things i just noted.

Maybe they will enable side-loading with a future update???

Honestly tho, I think the main reason they did this is because its way to easy to pirate apps on android phones and developers need to be protected so that we get better apps. People who don't pay for apps are just ruining things for everyone else so now we can't get non market apps at all.

Advertisement
  2. speedfreak32

speedfreak32 Well-Known Member

JackTheKnife likes this.
  3. Chew

Chew Well-Known Member

4. mterrence5

mterrence5 Member

No. I would also say that most apps out there are poorly written and cause your machine errors or drain your battery. I wouldnt want the headache of people downloading apps and you having to figure out witch one is messing up their phone

5. Ph8

Ph8 Well-Known Member

No they have already officially said that this is something they do to prevent calls from customers who dont know what they are doing and brick ther phone with a non market app.

6. dantheman2

dantheman2 Well-Known Member

It can prevent malicious apps that are not screened by the market, but I think the main reason is because it allows users to easily download apps that allow them to wifi tether creating a mobile hotspot without paying that monthly AT&T fee.

7. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Not really related, but I found it amusing last night when I discovered on Samsung's official support site, instructions in their FAQ for how to sideload apps onto the Captivate using adb. :)

8. XTheEnthusiastX

XTheEnthusiastX Active Member

That's the REAL reason lol...like AT&T cares if people mess up their phones, as long as AT&T gets their money, everything is okay. But when "Evil" google promises free WiFi tethering and free navigation AT&T goes and starts limiting users. On a completely open source device. WTF AT&T? :mad:

9. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

if you look through the pimp my captivate guide there is an easy way to remove att's block on the market. also you can put the phone in airplane mode and access the market through wifi and att's block wont be there

Jofaba likes this.
  10. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

11. Jofaba

Jofaba Well-Known Member

How exactly do you do that when Airplane mode disables wifi?

12. chicknlil

chicknlil Well-Known Member

Had originally posted a gripe that Trillian still wasn't seemingly available yet...and then found it was.

Go here if you want to try out the Trillian for Android beta.

13. sparker366

sparker366 Well-Known Member

I did the mod to the settings.db and was able to download and install the trillian beta with out issues and am running it fine.

Give the sideload wondermachine a go and see if it works for you.

I followed the steps in method 2 and it worked like a champ

How To Enable Non-Market apps for Captivate - Samsung Captivate Wiki

JackTheKnife likes this.
  14. alphadog00

alphadog00 Well-Known Member

AT&T is not stopping side loading to protect the consumer and there are not millions of poorly written apps or malicious apps we need protection from.

The truth is that there have been malicious and poorly written apps in the market - you don't need to sideload to mess up your phone.

AT&T is trying to prevent un-official tethering, VOIP, and other things that will cut into their profit margin. The iPhone and Apple are the same way - there have not been any malicious apps in Cydia, but there have been bad apps in the app store.

You don't need to root to sideload, and don't listen to the noobs that think AT&T is protecting its customers. I don't hate AT&T or consider them evil - but they do have a lot of restrictions that T-Mo and VZW don't have - sideload is one of them.

15. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Alpha do you work for at&t?

16. speedfreak32

speedfreak32 Well-Known Member

if you turn on airplane mode you can go to wifi settings and then enable wifi...

Jofaba likes this.
  17. Jofaba

Jofaba Well-Known Member

Oh! I guess I should chalk that up to drunken idiocy. Thanks! Now to test app availability vs the two means of access. Know of any good blocked apps to test with?

18. Jofaba

Jofaba Well-Known Member

edit: googled and found that pdanet was blocked, tried it and that actually works! I didn't download it and try to use the program but it definitely is blocked when not in airplane mode. Thanks!

19. myrv

myrv Well-Known Member

Alpha is right though, they block any app that allows tethering. They want you to use tethering for $20 a month. Paying extra for tethering in and of itself wouldn't be so bad on unlimited plans if it allowed unlimited usage, I could see the justification. However, paying $20 extra on a plan where you already have to pay $10 per gigabyte AND they don't add any extra usage for that, no way. Even their justification was messed, "people who tether use more data." Well, it is obvious that you would, but if you are paying per gig, what does it matter? No, in reality they would like you to pay for the 2 gigs a month and only use 300-500megs, that is why the plans are 200mb and 2gb, not 500mb and 2gb.

20. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

AT&T is blocking sideloading apps to protect the customer from bad apps just like they didn't include a camera flash in order to protect the customer from blinding themselves. :rolleyes: