any chance Verizon will upgrade my phone?General

Last Updated:

1. enjoydredg

enjoydredg New Member This Topic's Starter

i have a deadspot on my screen in the bottom left hand corner. so anytime i want to hit the Shift button or type "z" or "c" i have turn my phone sideways. then as soon as i start typing that way i have to turn my sideways again to type "m" or hit the NUM button.

it's really franking annoying!

i signed a 2 year contract with Verizon after they convinced me to buy the Eris instead of the MotoDroid. after this one it will be my 3RD Eris. the earpiece in the first one died within a month and this one is the buggiest, slowest, most horrible batter life ever phone (not to mention a dead spot in the screen).

are there any chances they'll upgrade me to a better phone and this p.o.s.? or when you bring it in to get it replaced do they just ship you a new crappy Eris?

Advice?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums.

Yours is a familiar story here; an Eris replaced several times before hitting on a reliable refurbished device.

We've seen exchanges to the Incredible and even the Droid from time to time. Your experience will vary. ;)

If the issue were mine, I would kindly plead my case for a new device, an upgrade, and failing that I'd even try more than one Verizon store.

You've got a true hardware issue, it appears, with that messed up screen. It seems they'd be willing now, after several tries at a good Eris, to get you to a different phone.

3. enjoydredg

i like potential the phone has. but IMHO the droid system is way too advanced for the eris. what's the point of having 7 screens when your internal memory is full after 3 screens of app shortcuts?

4. Frisco

You can have any number of screens from 1 to 7 with little perceived resource drain with a rooted Eris.

I'd be reluctant to keep a device that had a screen problem such as the one you describe, though.

5. enjoydredg

yeah i'm still gonna taKe it back. however, i need to get on this "root" bus everyone is talking about. i still have no clue what it means.

6. Frisco

7. enjoydredg

thanks for your help and welcoming me to the board. i'll keep you posted on what kind of love from verizon i get!

8. smacky

smacky Banned

Call VZW up and tell them this phone is your primary line. You need this phone to work. Tell them you want the Droid (it's BS, but say because the two were released concurrently, and both relatively old, the Droid is considered an "equivalent" now and that you don't want the Devour or Ally) as a replacement. They may give you some crap saying "the Droid has the same problem." Tell them you'll take a chance with it anyway. That you're willing to.

They should listen then. Rooting the Eris, in my opinion, is like polishing a turd. You need to modify the phone to make it even remotely functional, but it will still be a relatively slow phone. The Droid can be overclocked to almost twice the max of the Eris' max. And it is damn noticeable.

This is my advice if you want the new phone. If you like the Eris, disregard it. The Eris was bad enough for me that I left it and never looked back. And was and am still happy.

9. lukesdiesel

lukesdiesel Well-Known Member

Twice the speed? You can clock a Droid to 1.6?

10. smacky

smacky Banned

I said almost twice. I've gotten mine to 1.3 Ghz. I thought the Eris topped out at around 740 or maybe 768 and was still stable.

I run 1.25 all the time on performance and get about eight hours of heavy use on campus in between classes. Texting, internet, and games. If I bump it down to max 700 and min 250, I go almost two days with heavy use.

11. draconus

draconus Well-Known Member

You should still be under the 1 year warranty so they should just be able to swap your phone for another Eris (if there are still any in stock at the store). My understanding is that Verizon will not give you a different phone as a replacement unless you've had your eris replaced at least twice. I've also heard the original Droid is the recommended replacement.

12. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

I had the exact same problem with my phone, sounds like the same spot on the screen even. I called the nice folks at 611 and had a replacement phone the next day (I paid $15 for overnight shipping, otherwise it would have arrived on Monday rather than Friday).
    The replacement I got was a refurb, but it's been problem free (especially after rooting).

13. cstone1991

cstone1991 Member

Just so that you guys know Verizon stores are no longer supposed to give you a replacement for your phone under the warranty. You have to call them up. I have heard of stores getting away with doing exchanges since they put that regulation in place about 10 months ago but I have also heard of them turning people away. (If you are wondering how I know this, I worked in an indirect store until about 6 months ago.) I believe they made it that way because the warranty states that they will replace the phone with a "certified like new device" not a new device, and since they have to sell refurbs for less than new phones they want to give you the less valuable to them.

Regardless of all that I would try going into a store and see what they can do for you, if you like your Eris other than the dead spot on the screen then ask for another. If it is just too slow for you I suggest rooting it and overclocking, I couldn't be happier with my Eris since I rooted and overclocked. If you don't really like your Eris then convince them that the Eris being slow is a manufacturer defect of all Eris's and you should be able to get something else.

Best of luck to you!

14. varkie

varkie Well-Known Member

When I had my phone replaced back in April the rep said I could either go to the local store and have them replace it or she would send me one by FedEx 2 day. So I guess not every one got the memo. I choose FedEx as the store was jammed with people.

And I know people with Droids who've had the exact same issues and you won't get a new one of those either, it will more likely be a refurb.

15. Chaoz

Chaoz Banned

Even at 1.3ghz its still half the speed of the Arm7 based 1ghz phones like Incredible, Evo, Droid X, ect...