Any Cut vs. People widgetGeneral

Last Updated:

1. W4LLY

W4LLY Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

First things first. I love People as a program. It's amazing that it can sync all my contacts to their respective facebook profiles. My problem is with the widget, which is amazing...in concept. You can set a quick default shortcut to text, call, or e-mail someone.

This is all fine and dandy but a few problems I've experienced;

1.) If you have it set to auto text message (for example) and you want to call the person, you have to press the small gray box that is their name. I dunno if it's just my finger, but i always seem to miss tapping it.

2.) It auto alphabetizes your favorites. Is there a way to change this? I don't see any settings for the widget.

(My girlfriends name is Jessica, and she's not at the top so she got upset at this -.-)

Does anyone else use AnyCut (Program that allows you make your own short cuts) instead?

Cliffs/Thoughts, go.

Advertisement
  2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Assign your girlfriend a speed dial number, and then remove her listing from the widget. NOW you can tell her that you love her too much to lump her in with all those lesser folks. :)

And as a bonus, it gives you a one button dial for her. Note that '1' is used for voicemail, and if there is a way to change that I haven't found it (I haven't looked very hard...).

3. W4LLY

Haha brilliant.

I don't get speed dial though. On my dumbphone, I just pressed down on the number and it dialed that speed dial.

How do you do that on the Eris?

4. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

Same way ... press phone and you will get the dial pad. Then hold down the number of the speed dial.

5. W4LLY

How do you assign it though?

6. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

On the Information tab of the Contact Details screen, press
    MENU and then tap
    Set speed dial.

2. ​
    In Number, tap Not defined, and then tap the contact number
    you want to assign to the speed dial number.

3. ​
    In Location, tap Not defined, and then tap a speed dial key
    (number 2 to 9). When you press and hold the assigned key on
    the phone dialer screen, your phone will call the contact.

4. Tap Save.

7. Jlopcpa

Jlopcpa Well-Known Member

What I did is dedicated a home screen to contacts and have the smaller people widget set up. And then added a New Folder. Relabled the folder (long press the folder name when it is opened) to "View Contacts. Then I added person shortcuts of the people I wanted to put in the folder (you have to add it to the screen and then drag it into the folder). I set the default action to view contact information. That way if I want to txt someone I can just hit there contact and not try and hit the gray name at the bottom. The people in the folder are listed as they are added (so add your GF first and she will be at the top). I also did the same thing for my office staff (easier than the phone book) So I have 2 folders one for friends and family and one for work.

8. W4LLY

This is totally bad ass. You guys are awesome. I love my phone <3

9. weihl165

weihl165 Well-Known Member

I was having the same problem, with contact that i call/text often being at the bottom. All I did was put an A in front of the people I wanted to stay at the top of the address book.

10. W4LLY

You could use a "." less obstructive. I consider that cheating though

11. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

You could also make these contacts one of your favorites. Then after you press the people icon, there is an icon at the bottom with a heart ... press that and you will only show your favorites.

12. JackButler

JackButler Well-Known Member

How do you put the short people widget into the folder? I can't figure it out.
    How do you add anything to a folder?

13. W4LLY

Drag and drop things into a folder.

When you go to + -> HTC Widgets -> People There is an arrow key at the bottom. You can press that to the right and it gives you the short list as opposed to the full screen one

14. JackButler

W4LLY, still can't get it to do it! What could I be doing wrong or have disab;ed?
    This is crazy! :>)

15. Jlopcpa

Jlopcpa Well-Known Member

I did not put the widget in the folder I put the individual contact short cut into a folder. First add the folder to the home screen then add the contact shortcut to the home screen and then long press the contact shortcut and then drag it to the folder.

16. JackButler

OK, thanks for helping.
    I can just add a person, but not the actual wdiget to the folder. Also, can't add the whole phones shortcut to it either. Maybe Astro could do it, but I have to figure that out yet!
    MY "brainstorm" was/is...
    use several short people widgets (sorta like your above if I understand what you did correctly) one for family, friends, business, etc...then actually add all those widgets to a folder. I like the short person one because you can scroll nicely and it isn't so big.

17. terigox

terigox Active Member

I just wanted to say this folder idea was amazing! Awesome alternative to th person widget. If you want to rearrange things in tyur folder you can press and hold, pull them out of the folder then put them back in in the order you want too..

Anyone know if you can get access to these folders through a usb mount somehow?

18. W4LLY

Any app that lets you give folders an icon/color or something?

19. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

I was also looking for something better here. The People widget would be GREAT if the default action could be changed to open the person's contact instead of only choosing a text/call. It's way too hard to press that tiny gray bar! I had the Touch Flow 2D on my previous phone, and the People widget worked properly there (took you to their contact to choose how you wanted to contact them).

Really hoping they offer this customization when they release the 2.0 update.

- If using folders, though, is there any way to rename the Person shortcuts so they don't say "View First N...", etc. It would be much nicer to just have the person's name, but can't figure out how to change this.