Any Data Enable/Disable Widget for Froyo?Support

1. lou2s

lou2s Member

Hi all,

As Nexus One is the only model which has already "partly" updated to Froyo, I think I'd better post it here.

Before Froyo, if I wanna enable/disable mobile data usage, I used a passive way, changing the APN server setting, to fool the system so it couldn't connect.

In Froyo, there is a new option under Setings -> Wireless & Network Settings -> Mobile Networks called Data enabled/disabled, which is a much direct approach than changing the APN.

But up to today, I've yet to see a widget which targets at this option. Currently I hv made a 3G shortcut to that setting page on to my home screen. Really hope there will be a toggle widget instead!

So how do u guys enable/disable data usage at the moment without a handy widget on Froyo?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. lou2s

lou2s Member

Thx. Just tested it. It worked as expected but in the old APN way (changing the APN server name), like other widgets such as switchpro/apnoid. I m looking forward to a widget which can make use of the new froyo setting.

(yeah I know 2 approaches produce a similar effect. I just wonder if I keep the Mobile Data setting on and let it to connect to a wrong address will cause any battery waste. Hope u understand my point of view, and this is related only to android 2.2, not to previous versions)
  3. noisemonkey

noisemonkey Active Member

apndroid works fine on froyo
  4. t0ph0id

t0ph0id Well-Known Member

I can't find 'Extended Controls Widget' in the market on 2.2

Am I just being dumb?
  5. t0ph0id

I've used this for a few days now on Froyo, it still doesn't re-enable data connection after being switched off for a long period of time. Had to re-boot my phone.

Shame.
  6. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

Seeing as most of the data toggle widgets edit the servername of the APN, I don't use any of them. Because most of the times turning data back on doesn't work unless I reboot.

So I just keep a shortcut to my APNs and switch between my default APN and another empty one I created... For now.

High hopes for froyo-compatible toggle widgets tho!
  7. rgruet

rgruet Member

Changing programmatically the new "Data enabled" setting is not possible AFAIK on Android 2.2 (froyo). This setting is a "Secure" setting that can only be read, unless the app is granted the android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS permission. Unfortunately this permission is not granted by the PackageManager to ordinary applications, even if you declare it in the app manifest.

So I'm afraid that apps/widgets modifying the APNs are still the best solution for now to enable/disable your mobile network connection.

Richard
    lou2s likes this.
  8. 0sync0

0sync0 Well-Known Member

It seems to me that using the new feature in Froyo would be faster than rebooting every time you want to use data.
  9. bitxboi

bitxboi Well-Known Member

a shortcut to the "Data enabled" setting on your desktop?
  10. t0ph0id

Can you only do this using BetterCut into the Mobile Network Settings menu?

Or is there another way?

I'd like to put this icon on one of the LauncherPro dock buttons but can't work out how to do it. Any ideas?
  11. antikryst

antikryst Active Member

requested a froyo only version of apndroid that toggles this... just dont know if it can be done. i love the apndroid widget.
  12. lou2s

lou2s Member

Yup I use BetterCut. I use ADW all the time so it's just a drag to put the "3G" icon onto its hidden app dock (and I quite like this, swiping up the home button for my hidden setting:D). I hv tried to put that icon onto dock of LauncherPRO 0.6.5.1 but in vain.:(

Another method will be using QuickSettings (Free at market). I set long pressing search button to launch QuickSettings (so I can call it out anywhere), then I can tap on the APN row (not the on/off toggle, and u hv to keep it always on in QuickSettings) to go to the froyo data enable menu.
  13. hipocrazy

hipocrazy Well-Known Member

I use toggle data. Its a widget. Never have to reboot my N1 to re-establish a connection. Only downfall is an ugly widget.
  14. Teknologic

That's how I did it pre-froyo and still do now. But there really should be a way to enable-disable with one click (without the chance of screwing up your data connection).
  15. mayurh

mayurh Member

guys theres smoda widget
    it works but its got a small bug
    if data is off and wifi is on its fine
    but when u put wifi off, even if you had data off, it gets enabled
    i've mailed the developer.hope he can fix it
    so for now
    when ever u disable wifi, wait few secs and disable data also
  16. v1nsai

v1nsai Well-Known Member

It has to be possible, quick settings does it. I'm looking through it right now, I'll post if I find a solution.

Unless the developer.android docs are missing it, I'm guessing quick settings uses something a little more 'hacky' than a normal api call. From what I've seen so far, it uses android.permission.MODIFY_PHONE_STATE, so I'm looking around in telephony. It also mentions in the wiki that the api calls it uses are undocumented (how the hell did they find them then??) but whatever.

Hoping we can find this soon, I'm working on an auto toggle that could save us all a lot of battery.
  17. Teknologic

Extended controls does call the api, I think. I use it without problems.
  18. twolves14

twolves14 Member

APNdroid is another option.
  19. CXXV

CXXV Well-Known Member

I don't get it. On my rooted ERIS w/FROYO the toggle worked fine. Should be the same in the D2:confused: