any devs around here? have an idea for a launcher.

1. Tslide91

Tslide91 Well-Known Member

If I'm wrong, let me know.

So. You can't change the notification bar right? What about hiding the original notification bar, and implementing one into a launcher? That would bring a whole new level of customizability, bring in some money for the devs (I know I'm not the only one who would be willing to pay for that), especially if you could tweak it to look how you want.

So am I crazy? Or is this an idea that would work that people have been too lazy to make? ;)

Advertisement
    :
  2. naf456

naf456 New Member

Seriously though developing software is hard. it gets easier when you know all tha API's and how to do common stuff on a platform - getting there though on something advanced as android takes a long time however (years)

Anyway - yes it's possible.
    In the latest SDK there are now API's which allows apps to run complete full screen, which means you can now implement your own status bar,
    however it will only be present in the launcher - all other applications will use it as normal.

I believe there is a way to delete the status bar daemon and to set up your own - there are apis to listen for notification and carrier id and clock etc...
    however this would only be applicable to a custom rom - not to a single .apk
  3. sohguanh

sohguanh Well-Known Member

However, somehow there are end users who feel .99 is asking too much and they want it free for use. Only when those end users have gone through a cycle would they know the 'blood and sweat' developers put in. This is life of developers and it is no surprise there are former developers jumping over to other professions.

4. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

5. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

if the notification area is the primary concern, Rom Toolbox Pro is on the Play Store and can customize it any way you like; green, blue, red, Honeycomb or ICS style, GB style. Froyo and Eclair style, the works.
  6. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Guys,

I've moved this thread over to the Application Requests area for you.

Cheers!
  7. Mehta23

Mehta23 Guides Guide

I've also seen a few apps that bring a new style notif bar, but a all-in-one app might be good.

Statusbar WP7