Any droid users in alaska?

Last Updated:

1. shaynea

shaynea Member This Topic's Starter

I was wondering if anyone on here lives in alaska and has a droid that works or doesnt work?

Advertisement
  2. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member

I do not live there but are you asking about people having service there? The map on Verizon shows that a lot of their service there is extended network which would require you go into settings and network and allow data roaming. I am also in a data roaming area and had to activate that to get 3g to come on. It is free though in all 50 states!

3. shaynea

I was wondering if someone in alaska has data how well it works. I know its all extended network and i have to activate phones in lower 48. I just dont know if its worth keeping the contract with verizon. my only only option for a phone thats similar is the htc tilt 2. i do not want an iphone.

4. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

5. shaynea

thanks for the link, i live in wasilla and when i got my bb storm 2 last week they worked but fropped calls after about 90 seconds. So after talking to a guy on here i found out i have to activate down there and bring here. i was just wanting to hear from someone that has a droid and lives in anch are or fairbanks area and how it works for them and also if its even worth getting. at this point they are heading to oregon to get activated and then sent here later in the week. im still in my 30 days to cancel thats why im asking.

6. XanderX

XanderX New Member

Hello everyone, i'm new to this forum and I live in Alaska (fairbanks) and have a Droid X running 2.1 (because i think that the 2.2 has too many problems) and it works great. When i purchased the phone i had to send it down to WA state to a relative (for activation) and since i got it back, i haven't seen any problems. Best phone i've ever owned.:):D

7. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

I lived in North Pole the last 17 years(graduated there too). Moved back to Ohio a couple years ago. ACS has the Milestone, Hero, and Desire. Fairbanks is the second largest city in the state, though Wasilla is getting close, and will probably overtake Fairbanks in the next 10 years or so.

8. aclos3

aclos3 Active Member

I work up in SE Alaska quite a bit and have good success with the Droid there. In Ketchikan and Petersburg, the service was of course not 3G, but it was still fast enough to stream Pandora and use maps, etc. I work with several people who have iPhones and their connection speed was much worse than mine. Internet browsing in Ketchikan just about impossible with the iphone.

9. aclos3

aclos3 Active Member

I should add that this is not some attempt at an iphone bash at all. In fact, I fully expected AT&T users to have better service throughout SE Alaska. AT&T is sort of known as the "main carrier" in that area, so I figured this meant that their network would be more developed. However, in at least these two towns and their surrounding areas, I had more bandwidth and seemed to lose my coverage last as we'd move away from town (working on boats).