• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any (former) Blackberry Users?

Ordered a 36Hr battery on Amazon.com. Comes with the battery and new phone back to accomodate the size. Makes it a little bulky, but this way the phone lasts almost all day/night with constant business use! :)
Have you found an app that lets you search on more than just the Name field in Contacts? I can't find a lot of my stuff searching cause I put info in the Company field in BB where it could be searched and basic HTC Evo Contacts only searches on name!

Upvote 0
Well with ATT I had the bb 9700 bold well it was stupid interface is horrible internet is even worse and don't get me started about the apps. The only ok thing was email and bbm well my phone stopped working and guess what rim and att just told me sucks for ya. At the end my email was not even working. I switched and I could not be happier. The only ugly thing is battery life and that will be fixed when I get myself 2 extra batteries. I would like to say bye bye ATT and hope I never get to see your false advertising
Check out Amazon.com for longer life battery for EVO. Found a 36hr battery and works great to keep me running most of day & night. I also plug in when in the car to be sure...

Upvote 0
OK Guys,

If you switched to an EVO from a Blackberry - can you post here - with the Blackberry Model, and the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, of switching?

I wish I could say former. I have to carry one for work. Right now I have the newest curve and before I had the world phone. Android has caused me to develop a burning white hot hatred for the BB OS.

Upvote 0
I had the Bold II, and thought it was a great machine. I vacillated for weeks about making the switch as I'd had many Blackberries before; 7100, Pearl, Curve, Bold and then Bold II. Nothing compares with the EVO though. I love it and will never go back. Get an extended battery, I got the Seido 3500 and it last a day or two per charge. I don't miss Blackberry Messenger, and use Handcent for SMS texting which is every bit as good. The ability to really truly browse the web as it was meant to be, the variety of quality free apps, the incredible screen and camera, and video conferencing... I was a very quick convert.

Upvote 0
I had the BlackBerry 8330, then the 8530, and now the Evo...

There is simply no comparison.
I missed the BB autotext until last night when I installed Smart Touch Pro (well worth the $).

I tether because I have no cable or DSL available where I live and Hughesnet is way over-priced for what you get. On the BB 8330 I averaged .8mps, the 8530 was around .5, and the Evo is averaging 1.1 (3G). Plus, my Evo doesn't go into roaming like the BlackBerries did (same locations on my way to work).

The nearest 4G is 1.5 hours away and the probability of getting it here anytime in the next 5 years is slim but the extra $10/month I have to pay to have the Evo isn't even an issue... :D

Upvote 0
I just switched from the Blackberry 8330, and Bold 9000, an I feel like I've been under a rock for years.. The difference is like the flip of a switch. The actual build quality is insane. Don't get me wrong, my blackberry has taken a hell of a beating, I've set both through their paces, but the Evo feels solid as a brick..

But since I got the Evo, I played with both of my blackberry for comparison, I don't know how I ever got used to those phones. The Evo never leaves my hands anymore. Let alone my eye site.

Upvote 0
Hi all, new guy here. My new EVO is on it's way via FedEx and it can't get here fast enough! I'm currently a Blackberry user, and i've grown tired of waiting for RIM to get on the ball. I'm not even waiting for my upgrade from Sprint, I bought one outright from eBay. Help me out with which apps I should grab 1st! Looking forward to droid talk with you all.

Upvote 0
I'm a total newbie just coming from the BB Tour. I'm still in the learning curve mode having the Evo for just 8 days. There isn't a lot I miss about the Blackberry. I miss the battery life for sure, but I think once I learn more about the phone I can figure out how to customize it to better conserve battery life. Or I can just buy an extended life battery. What I'm doing at the moment is using a spare battery charger, so I have an extra (2)batteries always charged and ready to go. I also have chargers in the car and at work. I just have to get in the habit of charging more regularly.

I've had my share of weirdness in switching over, but I think these things are more flukes that actual Evo issues:

My Evo deletes all my mail at midnight for no apparent reason and that bugs me. Sprint doesn't know why and HTC has been all kinds of useless in figuring it out. They "Escalated" the issue last week and I'm assured that the advanced tech people are investigating and I'll hear from them when they have it figured out. I'm not holding my breath. While they're figuring it out, I dropped a shortcut to my webmail on the screen.

My phone also managed to duplicate every single solitary appointment on my google calendar. That was a pain, but it was also easily solved by doing a factory reset, which doesn't bother me since my contacts are instant thanks to google and there is really nothing else to do save for download some apps :) I also like google calendar...I really wish the phone itself had the ability to let you type in repetitions (e.g. every other week) rather than their standard weekly, monthly routine. You can define the number of week repetitions on the PC and let it sync, I just think it would be nice if you could do it on the device.

The other thing that I'm still getting used to is Swype. I love using it, but I also am at the stage where I sound like a bona fide idiot half the time because it is typing words that I didn't exactly type. Like "would love to see you" came out "roils to freer you." eeesh. I just have to be super careful and learn to check each word rather than bang them out like I used to on the BB.

I need to get a sturdier case. I do like my steinheil screen protector. In a week I haven't had to wipe the screen once. It totally keeps fingerprints off the screen (it does dull the screen a little though as it's anti reflective, too)

As for the BB... I don't miss it. The screen is too darn small, my thumbs bug me after texting/writing emails, the trackball is a colossal pain when it sticks, the phone is slooooooooooooooooooooow.

Okay, gotta get back to my evo to play, I mean learn more!

Upvote 0
I'm a total newbie just coming from the BB Tour. I'm still in the learning curve mode having the Evo for just 8 days. There isn't a lot I miss about the Blackberry. I miss the battery life for sure, but I think once I learn more about the phone I can figure out how to customize it to better conserve battery life. Or I can just buy an extended life battery. What I'm doing at the moment is using a spare battery charger, so I have an extra (2)batteries always charged and ready to go. I also have chargers in the car and at work. I just have to get in the habit of charging more regularly.

I've had my share of weirdness in switching over, but I think these things are more flukes that actual Evo issues:

My Evo deletes all my mail at midnight for no apparent reason and that bugs me. Sprint doesn't know why and HTC has been all kinds of useless in figuring it out. They "Escalated" the issue last week and I'm assured that the advanced tech people are investigating and I'll hear from them when they have it figured out. I'm not holding my breath. While they're figuring it out, I dropped a shortcut to my webmail on the screen.

My phone also managed to duplicate every single solitary appointment on my google calendar. That was a pain, but it was also easily solved by doing a factory reset, which doesn't bother me since my contacts are instant thanks to google and there is really nothing else to do save for download some apps :) I also like google calendar...I really wish the phone itself had the ability to let you type in repetitions (e.g. every other week) rather than their standard weekly, monthly routine. You can define the number of week repetitions on the PC and let it sync, I just think it would be nice if you could do it on the device.

The other thing that I'm still getting used to is Swype. I love using it, but I also am at the stage where I sound like a bona fide idiot half the time because it is typing words that I didn't exactly type. Like "would love to see you" came out "roils to freer you." eeesh. I just have to be super careful and learn to check each word rather than bang them out like I used to on the BB.

I need to get a sturdier case. I do like my steinheil screen protector. In a week I haven't had to wipe the screen once. It totally keeps fingerprints off the screen (it does dull the screen a little though as it's anti reflective, too)

As for the BB... I don't miss it. The screen is too darn small, my thumbs bug me after texting/writing emails, the trackball is a colossal pain when it sticks, the phone is slooooooooooooooooooooow.

Okay, gotta get back to my evo to play, I mean learn more!

What email are you using?

If you look in the tips and tricks sub forum you'll find a battery tweaks thread. It has some good tips for extending your battery life.

Upvote 0
Speaking of the BBM... Is there any app that is like BBM that will let you know once the other person received and or has read the message you have sent them like BBM? That is the one thing that my wife is going to miss since I am on the road alot and she likes to know if I have either received and or read the messages she has sent me.

For me, my friend told me about this one called "Kik". As well as that, there are also many more IM apps. I'm sure that it actually works for BB users too because one of my old friends has a BB, I think, and is on Kik. But don't quote me! :p

Upvote 0
I went from a Curve 8330 to the Samsung Moment to my Evo. Only reason I switched in the first place was because I wanted something with a touch screen and I liked the Android market.

My biggest complaint about my BB was the stupid ball getting dirty under it and it not working at times. Plus having to pull the battery when it would lock up. If Sprint would of had the Torch, I might of got then instead of the Evo even though I do love my Evo.

Upvote 0
I went from a Curve 8330 to the Samsung Moment to my Evo. Only reason I switched in the first place was because I wanted something with a touch screen and I liked the Android market.

My biggest complaint about my BB was the stupid ball getting dirty under it and it not working at times. Plus having to pull the battery when it would lock up. If Sprint would of had the Torch, I might of got then instead of the Evo even though I do love my Evo.

then you would still be on BB... and that would be sad.
and kicking your self in the ass.. like Kennected.. :p

Upvote 0
I came from the darkside as well..... BB Tour on Alltel, i had it for a little over a year and had my ups and downs with it, but overall a good device. Even living in Sioux Falls, SD which used to be a cell service black hole!! But i digress ;)
with regard to the tour...
pros:
-ease of operation
-excellent email delivery system
-physical keyboard nearly faultless
-never had an issue with the trackball
-decent resolution on screen
-okay camera res (3.2Mp)

cons:
-lack of apps
-lack of flash
-reboot time is approximately 2.76485683 years
-ease of operation makes the ability to do specific things impossible (just like apple os'd devices)
-waaaaaay slower 2g/3g than the EVO
-$30 more expensive (even with the premium data chrg)
-blackberry email servers went down from time to time

ok, now on that last one, when i called Alltel to inq as to why i wasnt recieving emails nor could access the internet (which happened somewhat frequently) was blamed on blackberry servers being down. With that being said, the push method RIM employs for email delivery seems to be forced over the network to their devices from their server as opposed to the device having to go check for email at specified intervals. Blackberrys method, being reliant on a server, takes less of a toll on the devices battery. But thats literally the only thing that Ive found that BB does better than the mighty EVO!!!

The only con with the EVO when comparing it to the BB, is the battery, which Im experimenting with some custom roms that should help alleviate that issue. And I guess that if google could devise a better push method for email that doesnt rely on the device proactively checking the imap or pop3 clients, that would be soopah cool. Perhaps make it more like how texts are rec'd... like BB does lol

Upvote 0
I've been using BBs for the last 5 years. I switched because I was tired of the same OS and and I wanted more customization and a larger screen. BB's are really good communication devices. I loved how I could customize my notifications and the push email was excellent! The phones were easy to use and the keyboards were good. I switched because I wanted a better internet experience on a large screen. The Evo gives me that and more. Communication services are not as good as BB's but I can live with that because the phone offers so much more. The specs on the Evo are a big upgrade from any BB out there IMO. I have had the Evo since Friday and I am loving the phone. I wish it could have the communication capabilities of the BB but nothing is perfect.

Not sure what you're referring. I too switched from BB and if anything I think the communication capabilities are better (TIKL, GMAIL, all of the IM's, skype, Google Voice, Fring, the list of free communication apps are a mile long.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones