• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any (former) Blackberry Users?

bold 9700 user here (formerly 9000, iphone and 8300)

the facebook app on android is the suck. this is my only gripe as of now.

i still have my 9700 while i test out sprint for the 30 days.

No Kidding!! Facebook android sux big time. Ive had my shift for 2 weeks now and I have to say Im missing my tour. Once sprint gets a newer bb im going back!

Upvote 0
I've had my EVO for about a week now. I'm so glad to have gotten rid of the Curve 8530. IMO they should just call those email phones rather that "smart" phones. There are only 3 things I miss about the BB: Push email, BBM, and better battery life. The selection of apps, updates and support in the Android Market are quite impressive. I keep seeing things about rooted droids can get better battery life and apps or what'not, but the idea of "hacking" my expensive device scares the hell out of me. Another thing I love is, reboot time on the EVO is a non-issue. Less than a minute and i'm rolling again.

BTW I laugh every time i see that BB commercial where they feature "Poynt" as a marquee BB app. I had no problem getting it in the Android Market!

Upvote 0
While I agree that the Android FB is better than the BB version. The BB FB was better at notifications. The Android version is really inconsistent.

You've obviously been away from BB for a while, they have haven't gotten notifications right in a bout a year. That's the least reliable aspect of the BB facebook app nowadays. Not to mention the interface is clunky, choppy.....links either don't show up, or take you anywhere. Youtube links take you to the desktop version of the site, which is useless. Messages lately have been a cluster ****, I was able view pretty much only old message threads that I deleted going back to the time first signed up for FB.

I'm telling you EVO owners, if you don't like the Android FB app, don't go back to BB for it, you won't find what you're looking for.

Upvote 0
The only regret I have coming over from a BB is the BATTERY! I am rooted but and have tried just about every tweak mentioned and still its horrible. I can literally watch my battery drain while looking at my phone when the screen is on. Im sticking it out though, hopefully the next generation will have a better battery.

Upvote 0
No Kidding!! Facebook android sux big time. Ive had my shift for 2 weeks now and I have to say Im missing my tour. Once sprint gets a newer bb im going back!

u must be talking about another tour my friend because I just got the evo 4g and let me tell you I will never buy another BB again. I mean, dont take this the wrong way I am a newbie when it comes to android but after a week this is a kick butt phone, bar-none, and facebook on this phone is such a nice thing!

Upvote 0
I came from a Blackberry Bold 9650 (Hardcore BBRY user for 4 years) about a month ago to the Evo. Before that I had/have an Incredible I would play on a little, and I got a Galaxy Tablet back in September.

I gotta say that the Tablet is just plain amazing. I've even played with a Blackberry Playbook, and well, it's just not the same so far.

I can honestly say the biggest thing I miss(ed) about my Blackberry was BBM. However, I don't miss it that much anymore. I miss the battery life (obviously the Evo drains a good bit, but I haven't rooted mine yet, which helps alot, and I do carry 2 additional batteries & battery charger for my phone).

I was totally hung up on Social Feeds for Blackberry, until I discovered Friend Stream on my Evo. I've noticed my Evo roams a lot more than my Blackberry did, so doing PRL updates regularly isn't a bad thing, but something I have to do now.

Ironically the things I found easiest on BBRY that I'm just gonna assume is more a learning curve on Android are the following:

-Group Messaging
-Facebook (Actually pulls up much faster on the BBRY), seems like it loads forever on the Evo.

In summary, I'll be honest with everyone on here....I believe Android has/had an answer for everything on my Blackberry. Sadly, I believe it's a dying breed, which I have come to terms with.

Hope this helps everyone who reads!

Upvote 0
I just switched to the EVO from a BB9000. Here's my thoughts....

The EVO is neat. It does a lot of cool things. The blackberry was a tool, this thing feels like a toy. The "push" email is only kind of push, the battery life is attrocious, the onscreen keyboard is ok, but not great. I miss my trust in my emails getting to me in a timely manner. I miss my physical keyboard. I miss the flawless tethering to my laptop. I miss the ability to skip a night on the charger, and still make it through the next day without a charge. I now have to carry a car charger with me everywhere. I am not convinced this is the right device for me. The calender apps arent nearly as robust as RIM's. The BES server was great as well, the evo is constantly syncing and I never know if my calendar is accurate or not.

It does do a lot of things well. I haven't surfed the web on my laptop since I got the EVO. The browser is great. The facebook app is much better than RIM's. The apps are great as compared to the bb. The screen is great. It's much better at handling my media. The camera is awesome. I have a file explorer app and a remote desktop so that have helped me a ton. BB couldn't compete with that at all.

I was VERY disappointed in the 3G performance until I changed the settings as outlined in the sticky at the top of this section. MUCH better now. That was almost a dealbreaker overall for me.

If I didn't rely so heavily on my device for my job this would be an awesome phone. As it stands I feel like they have taken my most usefully tool and replaced it with the little tikes version. It still gets the job done, but not nearly as effectively as the BB did. It does play far better than the the 9000 did though.

Upvote 0
So I gave both platforms a proper shake down. The 9930 is a great phone, good call quality, secure, top notch messaging. Good build quality. Fantastic keyboard. Also it was light in weight and aesthetically pleasing.

My EVO, I purchased that shortly after it's release. I did miss using it. The larger screen, the apps and the keyboard I found to be easier to type on than the 9930. I guess I developed some sort of carpal tunnel thing or something but I found that after using the 9930 for a few months it was getting harder for me to type on. Having the EVO in landscape I got more room type, so it's more comfortable.

Personalizing and customization I didn't realize how much I missed using Launcher Pro. Obviously Blackberries are limited as far as customizing, even the iPhone is limited.

I stopped using the iPod that I had in my car and started playing my music through my EVO, so much better than my iPod Touch, (I use the iPod now for just working out).

Well just thought I'd share.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
i have a friend .. he has the fake cassette thing with a earphone jack to plug in to phones... this allows you to play music from phone to your car system.

he has an iphone..
I have an evo.. with MikG 3.0.. and has equalizer app.

using pandora or any music player..
his iphone just sounds a lot better. what am i missing??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones