Any Former Palm Pre Owners? Comparing Features

Last Updated:

1. SSmokybear

SSmokybear Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I am coming out of the Palm Pre. Was not really unhappy with the Pre except for the lack of good software support, lack of good apps, and poor quality of the phone itself.

I really like the new EVO but I guess I miss some of the Pre features. Like the following:

1. Swipe gestures
    2. Text Notifications
    3. Windows Minimizing
    4. OTA Back-up

I am sure there are others. Since these phones are so smart I guess its just a matter of someone way smarter then I that can develop some apps to copy these Pre features. All in all I'm VERY impressed with the EVO thus far.

What are some of the Pre features that you want to see duplicated on the EVO? Hey who knows maybe someone already made some apps that duplicate the Pre's features already and I am unaware of them now.

Tom

Advertisement
  2. burgertime

burgertime Well-Known Member

Really all I miss are the notifications and swipe gestures. I like being able to just slide an email out to delete it then hard pressing and pressing again.

That being said in general I don't miss the palm at all.

3. x081967

x081967 Member

The only thing I miss is the "card" system where you can flip between the open apps and close them by swiping them away. I'm really surprised there's no way to close an app aside from using a task-killer app.

I'm so glad my time with the Pre is over.

4. deceptacon

deceptacon New Member

There's no comparisons Evo blows the Pre out of the water!!! Since Android has the creator of Webos with just imagine how much better Android is going to be.

5. misterzeno

misterzeno Well-Known Member

I miss everything u named op, lots o potential but that hardware irked me. Im satisfied with android and will forget about web os as time passes.

6. SSmokybear

Ok this is news to me. Can you elaborate on this info?

7. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

8. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

yeah.. i hear you.. the swipe and card system is great.

It is important in WebOS and WinM to close apps so that the phone dont run out of mem.
    But in Android.. the system takes care of it for you. that is how it is designed but of course sometimes the plan dont work right. Task Killer is only needed when you find a mis-behaving apps. 99% off the time.. forget about it.

There are apps that let you adjust the internal android memory manager, so that android is more aggressive in closing apps to free more memory for you. I think it requires you to have root. When the custom ROMs come out for EVO, most developers will have this tweeked for you.

9. SSmokybear

10. zaltol

zaltol Well-Known Member

Definitely some items I'm missing from the Pre. However I'll get used to it, I do highly enjoy the EVO.

11. evotitans

evotitans Well-Known Member

In all honesty, the only things Im starting to miss is swipe to delete and the actual cards themselves.

With that said, I absolutely love the EVO......wait til you watch a movie that is atleast 720p on it, it is soooo beautiful.

12. cdwakamatsu

cdwakamatsu New Member

Anyone notice how small the Pre screen looks after being on the EVO for several days?

13. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

hah, yeah, after a day of playing with my EVO on Friday, I picked up my gf's pre and felt claustrophobic.

14. zaltol

zaltol Well-Known Member

It was horrible lol! Had to Doctor it so I can sell it and it was tiny looking.

15. Ilya

Ilya Well-Known Member

1. I only used the back gesture...and the back button isn't that much different so I'm fine there.
    2. Android has them too, but it just takes longer to get to em (drag bar down, click on the message, THEN read it)
    3. Yeah, this was nice, but I'm learning to accept Android for what it is (Not WebOS).
    4. Palm's Profile Backup SUCKED. I lost ALL my contacts due to their server cloud. I am now using Google after that fiasco and have been very happy.

Only thing I want added in full-form is the ability to upload videos directly from phone to Facebook. I really don't want to have to go through my PC.

Being an Android noob, I am very much in love with my EVO. Android is a NICE OS.

16. cooper1010

cooper1010 Well-Known Member

swipe, notifications, and the oreo effect. i like oreos.

oh, and how the pre would pause media playback when you pulled out the headphone/aux cable. i liked that. evo doesn't do it.

17. Millie

Millie Member

I miss all things the OP mentioned, but the more I've been playing with the EVO, the more I'm impressed with it. This is my first Android and I think there's gonna be a week+ of a learning curve. So far, I think it is going to be a keeper.

Actually...after typing this reply, I really miss my Pre's keyboard. :(

18. cooper1010

cooper1010 Well-Known Member

really?! i was afraid i'd miss the physical keyboard, but the on screen has been great. i've even messed around with the swype kb, and, after some practice, that'll be great.

19. Millie

Millie Member

It's much better than i expected (way better than my ipod touch) ... but I'm not nearly as fast as i was with the Pre. I'm getting better though. Haven't tried Swype yet but im looking forward to it.

20. KaeEss

KaeEss Member

Yeah, the card system is the only thing I miss as well.

21. Neon8

Neon8 Well-Known Member

Misss the swipe to delete. Notifications ok. Added sms popup app and better. REALLY miss my touchstone. Thought i would miss keyboard but with a mic button on keyboard and excellent voice recognition i hardly type anymore.

22. SSmokybear

AHHHH The Touchstone.... YES a major miss....

23. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

I still have my launch day pre but I'm real close to pulling the trigger on the Evo as a fathers day present to myself. I guess I've gotten used to all the pre's quirks but I'm curious about a couple of things about the evo. How's the battery life compared to the pre when idle? I know it will probably drain when streaming music or watching sprint tv but just normal surfing or bluetooth phone call cause a sudden drain? I went through a lot of growing pains with the pre and I sure don't want to go through that again. Any help is appreciated.

24. NeoEVO

NeoEVO Well-Known Member

Will miss TreoCentral.com - RIP Palm.

25. wazzap1101

wazzap1101 Well-Known Member

Ill miss the frequent "too many cards open" notification despite the fact that no cards were open :D

but seriously, I miss the sexy lookingness of the pre, and Webos, I think, is the best OS behind android with sense. If the palm pre had the hardware it deserved, it would be one of the greatest phones... IMHO of course