any getting Chg's for using Handcent Text Messages ??

Last Updated:

1. crenita

crenita Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I got a strange 9.99 on my bill this month... and when I call Verizon they say it was for using advanced Text messageing Services w Handcent ??? I am confused I have not seen any indication that there was charges associated w using Handcent ... is this info correct or do I need to go back to verizon for more info ??? :confused:

Advertisement
  2. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

say what??

IF this is true, and I find it hella hard to believe, there will be SO many of us on a rampage over this.

I just got my bill today, and ONLY use Handcent, and no such fee. not even sure how it could be instituted.

Something is amiss here.

3. crenita

thanks... I am on my way to Verizon.. to check it out.. .. don't mind paying for my stuff but not sneaky stuff.. Move later after I talk again w them.

Thanks

4. cwescapexlt4x4

cwescapexlt4x4 Member

I am going to log into my account and both our Droids are Handcent as well.

>> After reviewing bill, I see no strange charges on our bill.

5. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

I doubt this is a result of just texting with Handcent. Are you sure you didn't enable any optional features? I haven't used Handcent in ages... Have them clarify exactly what the charge is for. Unless you don't have a text messaging package (or exceeded it) you shouldn't be billed for sending or receiving messages with Handcent.

Are you sure that the charge isn't for premium text messaging?
    Verizon | Answers to FAQs - Verizon Wireless Support

6. Lock-N-Load

sounds to me like one of your buddies grabbed your phone at a party and dialed one of those horoscope, trivia, joke, or party line numbers they advertise at like 2am and in doing so, you automatically get billed for the service monthly.

this has nothing to do with Handcent.

7. crenita

well I think this is it... called Verizon back and did my own snoping.. looks like SOMEHOW.. something was text'd to a site called
    39000 AskMozoot Alerts..... to the tune of 9.99 PER MONTH.... :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Anyway asked for Verizon's assist with this and they told me how to disable whatever this is....

So I was incorrect this isn't anything to do with Handcent from what I can tell but heaven only knows what the heck Askmozoot is all about..
    Dang I am so careful re using downloads how the heck did this happen ???????:confused:

8. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

I have gotten random SMS spam before, and Since I have SMS Popup I almost accidentally replied to one - I was in the middle of replying when another one popped and I almost hit enter - and the SMS was something about reply with "Y" to do blah blah blah, and it just so happened that the word I was typing had a Y in it.

Fortunately, I caught myself in the nick of time, and never replied.

9. crenita

Oh.. Verizon said that this is definately scammy website... and that to pREVENT accidentally authorizing them to bill you for somethign you did not request... they can put a free premium text message blocker.. on the phone that will prevent them from accessing your system... I told her to go ahead but am not sure it was the right thing to do ....Anyone have opinion re that ?????????

10. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Hmmm, I'll go to my local store and ask about that this afternoon, find out more about it....

11. crenita

Please post your results..
    I am so mad at myself for not carefully looking at my bill... It looked about right and so I just paid it DUMB DUMB DUMB !!!!!

12. Lock-N-Load

I called it! one of your buddies clowned up and called, or text, one of those services and you got had.

bw ha haaa ha ha

13. Lock-N-Load

huh?

you can log on to your VZW account and setup your own SMS text blocks.. so what the heck is "a free premium text message blocker" - sounds like total BS and they are just doing what you can do yourself on their site.