• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any good free podcast apps that perform automatic downloads

Mussolini

Lurker
Feb 13, 2013
For my first post on this forum I'm going to ask something that has likely never been asked before. I have tried several apps like beyondpod, podkicker, etc. None seem, as far as I can tell, to have the functionality where you can set your phone up to download all the newest podcasts at a certain time of day. Beyondpod full price might, but I want something free.

I was wanting something where I can tell it 'download/update all podcasts at 6am, but only on wifi' and have it do it. Right now I can't find one that does it.

My Beyond pod does that.
Settings / Feed Update Settings / Automatic Updates
Single setting for all feeds or different settings by individual feeds
updates at certain time every day, every X days etc.
Lots of options. I think it'll do what you want.

I do have the paid version. Don't what limitations were in the free version, but if you listen to podcasts on a regular basis it's worth the one or two bucks imo anyway.

Upvote 0
I have found "Car Cast" to be sufficient, and meets your requirements.

It downloads at a set time of day over wifi, or of course you can click to download. Mine is set for 4am, though I don't always leave the wifi on over night. I can just click to download as I'm heading out the door, and it'll be done while I get my seatbelt on, etc.

There's a free version which I use, the description says the paid version removes the ads. I have Car Cast open, and don't see any ads, though. It's quite basic, but functional. I use it for an hour commute to and from work. Honestly, I haven't figured out how to add new podcasts. I like the ones that it comes pre-set with, and haven't bothered to get into how to add new ones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones