• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Gun owners out there?

I spent a few high school summers as a "counselor" (okay, rifle BB gun range marshal and climbing tower belayer) at a church camp. Before the kids would show up, us tower guys would grab up all the BB guns, don goggles (safety first!), and then hunt each other through the woods. We actually make a pretty good sport of it, with rules and points and targets and everything!

The kids would show up and ask why we had welts on our arms and legs. :D

We weren't quite that aggressive. :eek: My best bud had a set of molds to make army men out of melted lead. We'd spend hours making targets and then setting them up. Then we would spend hours disfiguring them with our BB guns. Next day we'd melt them down and do it again. Another fun activity was to save all the used light bulbs. Once we had plenty, we'd hike to the creek and toss a few bulbs in. Running down stream to our guns... we'd plink them as they floated by. And a little known fact... we alone helped control the sparrow population in our county.

Upvote 0
Saw only a few minutes of it last night, but very cool, trying to find it to watch entire thing; But appears locked down.

NOVA - "First Air War" Premiered Oct 29, 2014. All about the development of the first fighter planes, and how they developed during The Great War. Including some mention of the machine guns employed, the interrupter design that let you shoot through the propellor, etc. Check it out, if you can find it.
I can't wait to watch the whole thing; Will it come as any surprise that I think the coolest planes ever were bits of twigs and cloth, that topped out under 100 MPH?

Just my speed, and kinda' helps explain which firearms speak to me the most.:D

Upvote 0
Off to research GP100, figure out what the heck he's talkin' about.......Sounds like bjacks12 likes it.....Good 'nuff for me!:D

Want to hear more about GP100, not trying to distract from above.........Just my random thought of the moment:

Don't own it any more, but I sure did love my Beretta 92FS............I just didn't like it very much.....(It's complicated.) Am I right, or wrong?o_O;)

P.S. "Dual wielding"?......Is that you each got to try the other's at the range, compare one against the other..........Or leftie-rightie with both at same time?:)

Upvote 0
I can't speak to the Beretta, never fired one, but my understanding is that it isn't well liked in the military.

And by dual wielding, i do mean leftie-rightie at the same time. It looked ridiculous as hell, but it was fun.

If you want a .357 magnum, I'd be hard pressed to recommend anything but the GP100. It's a very high quality revolver. Built like a tank. I'm certain my grandchildren will be shooting this gun someday. Not that the S&W 686 isn't good, but it's not quite as good as the GP100, and it costs more than the GP100.

Upvote 0
If memory serves, I have only played with .357 on one or two occasions. A buddy had/has a Python and an Anaconda, don't recall at the moment how they are chambered, which one is which. Fun, but I was young, only got 6 or 12 tries, not paying super close attention, and "out of my league."
I'll have to catch up with my buddy, I'm sure his collection has only grown. He may well have a GP100, I'm sure they're very nice.

The Beretta was my first "serious" purchase many years ago, I suspect I put more rounds through it than anything else (non .22) that I own.
True to form, I bought it for all the wrong reasons. I didn't think it was pretty, I thought it was handsome.
And it could be that M9's reputation had a bit more of a halo at that time, I do hear ongoing grumbling about it, but probably for many other reasons than mine.

I'm not tiny, but it was too big for my hands. I could work the safety/decock lickety-split, and mag release easy. And I like double action designs, but really couldn't use it in this case. The pull was so long, and the release so unpredictable, it just wasn't any fun for me. Single action, I would grip the trigger just like you would expect, and had fun. But double action, I had to use the very tip of my finger to have enough range of motion to get from start of pull to discharge....And by the time I got there, it felt like I had been pulling a foot and a half, and doing it for 20 seconds. I was always surprised the unpredictable moment it went off double action, and realized I hadn't been holding the muzzle steady for the last ten seconds. (Or so):rolleyes:
And thumbing back the hammer to cock it was obviously never going to happen.

It never failed to cycle properly, performed flawlessly no matter what I fed it; But it did have one very disturbing failure which forever harmed my opinion of the gun. Perhaps it's a well known failure, but a trigger return (not sure exact term) spring broke, it was suddenly inoperable, no good work around without a replacement part. My memory is that it was working fine the day I cleaned it. Next time I showed up at the range, the trigger was all limp, wouldn't engage the link bar. Like it died, just sitting in the case. Not cool.

The funny thing is, I had an Airsoft pellet gun, in M9 pattern, and I think I had more fun with it. And no matter how hard I tried to "break the bank" on ammunition, there was still money for sandwiches at the end of the day.:D

EDIT: I'm off to research "red hats". and I assumed "prickle my face" referred to powder residue and perhaps even small jacket fragments blowing back toward the operator, from the cylinder end gap?

Upvote 0
Wheel guns all have a bit of out gas / powder residue that escapes through that cylinder gap. I've never seen one that allowed blow back in one's face however. Take it from one that knows.... if you ever decide to lay a revolver across your non shooting arm to steady your aim, be certain to keep the cylinder block forward of any arm you are fond of. :eek:

Upvote 0
I'm not in the market for a .357, I just like looking. But on the advice of counsel, ;)I went and looked at a GP-100 today. (Maybe GP-160, sound right?)

All I ever have to go on, is my gut; And I readily admit my priorities in a gun are not always well thought out.:D
So my gut impressions:
Very nice, no question, what I would expect from S/R. They showed me one in stainless; Stainless not my thing, but to each his own, that's my problem.

Was puzzled by front sight; Never even took a proper look down the sights (different priorities):p. My question: Why sight mounted in the front of the barrel in such a broad based dovetail? It seemed so exaggerated, there must be a reason for such a big footprint, yes?

I know grips can be changed; I'm just not wild about "molded" grips, I'm sure they serve a good purpose, particularly on something with such muscle, but they don't make my heart skip a beat. My problem.:D

I would like to see the front lug under barrel stepped back an inch or so for sex appeal......I get why the weight is there, but as a former race car mechanic.......I always err on the side of light and pretty, instead of ugly but functional. My problem.:D

Final observation (for today): :p The one in the case (being sold as new), had a BIG damn scratch in the front of the trigger guard. I was like........DAMN........Look your next purchase over closely, before accepting it, everyone............Or it'll be YOUR problem!o_O

The real experience of the day, was the Beretta that was being sold to the shop just as I walked in.

The guy was like: "This was my Dad's, he passed away last year, what can you give me for it?

I'm sure it was a fair, honest deal, but I was like: (Wishing I could be a bigger dick than I already am)......"Dude, meet me out back, I'll give you that plus $50........It's just that pretty!
But that's another story.;)

P.S, true story

Walked out to find a citation under my windshield wiper, "Failure to display front license plate" $48.00"

How should "my gut" feel about that?

Upvote 0
Olbriar did peg it; Obviously (but we sometimes forget)......All kinds of nasty come out of the end gap, every time, by design. Don't make that mistake.:D

I still say the impossible also sometimes happens, (watch the super slow-mo footage).:)

Bits of jacket and powder do somehow occasionally "turn the corner" and come back at you; Or maybe it was my friend in the next lane.:eek: In either case, don't ever forget your eye protection, friends.:cool:

Upvote 0
I'm not in the market for a .357, I just like looking. But on the advice of counsel, ;)I went and looked at a GP-100 today. (Maybe GP-160, sound right?)

All I ever have to go on, is my gut; And I readily admit my priorities in a gun are not always well thought out.:D
So my gut impressions:
Very nice, no question, what I would expect from S/R. They showed me one in stainless; Stainless not my thing, but to each his own, that's my problem.

Was puzzled by front sight; Never even took a proper look down the sights (different priorities):p. My question: Why sight mounted in the front of the barrel in such a broad based dovetail? It seemed so exaggerated, there must be a reason for such a big footprint, yes?

I know grips can be changed; I'm just not wild about "molded" grips, I'm sure they serve a good purpose, particularly on something with such muscle, but they don't make my heart skip a beat. My problem.:D

I would like to see the front lug under barrel stepped back an inch or so for sex appeal......I get why the weight is there, but as a former race car mechanic.......I always err on the side of light and pretty, instead of ugly but functional. My problem.:D

Final observation (for today): :p The one in the case (being sold as new), had a BIG damn scratch in the front of the trigger guard. I was like........DAMN........Look your next purchase over closely, before accepting it, everyone............Or it'll be YOUR problem!o_O

The real experience of the day, was the Beretta that was being sold to the shop just as I walked in.

The guy was like: "This was my Dad's, he passed away last year, what can you give me for it?

I'm sure it was a fair, honest deal, but I was like: (Wishing I could be a bigger dick than I already am)......"Dude, meet me out back, I'll give you that plus $50........It's just that pretty!
But that's another story.;)

P.S, true story

Walked out to find a citation under my windshield wiper, "Failure to display front license plate" $48.00"

How should "my gut" feel about that?

I think the GP100 Match Champion would be more to your liking. http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100MatchChampion/models.html

Beautiful grip, half lug, better front sight, it's had some weight shaved and I hear the trigger is fantastic.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the lead; I should have known there would be other variants in the catalog, and that one is indeed more interesting to me. And I can't speak to "better", but the front sight is definitely different from the one I looked at yesterday, a smaller dovetail.

I feel bad in the shop sometimes, knowing I'm not a real buyer. Hope you don't feel like I'm wasting your time here, I just like looking.

The Beretta they took in yesterday definitely has me thinking, however. I even sent them an E-mail last night to ask if they would consider waiting a day or two before putting it in the case.

I'm on record as saying I bought my 92 without really thinking it through, and that I thought it was handsome. The 84 they took in yesterday was downright pretty, it fit my hand much better, had a much nicer finish.
I don't think I've ever met anyone who said the .380 is the best cartridge ever developed, but again, my priorities not always in line with others.

I could field strip my 92 with my eyes closed, and have it back together in a minute or two, but I got frustrated with the 84 after a minute or two; And smiled a little to myself, as I watched the shop owner struggle even harder than me to figure it out.:p

Did I mention how pretty it is?

Upvote 0
New glock 19 gen 4 from sportsmans guide. On the 4 pay plan. Pays to have decent credit.
(Sorry for the crappy pic. Was indoors)
35n1toi.jpg

I figure if the election dosent go well for us i can sell off the 3 mags for a couple hundred. Get almost half my $ back

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
I am befuddled with a bankruptcy that happened a few years back, and at my age, I might as well kiss off ever getting a credit card.
I had bad credit. Began rebuilding with a secured card a year ago. Paid off old charge offs.
Now have 10 bank cards (the interest rate aint great but they report) walmart conns fingerhut. Also care credit for $1000 dental and a $1k personal loan with avant. All easy approval.
If id just quit buying gun crap and pay them down id be in the 700's

Upvote 0
I got to play with one of these this weekend. Pretty darn accurate and deadly. It fires a bit of table salt to kill flies. It holds around fifty shots of table salt at a time and is deadly out to three feet or so. It's a spring loaded firing mechanism that is cocked with a pump action. Not everyone wants a forty dollar pump fly assault weapon but hey, it's way fun.:D

51nEIuch8DL.jpg

Upvote 0
I had bad credit. Began rebuilding with a secured card a year ago. Paid off old charge offs.
Now have 10 bank cards (the interest rate aint great but they report) walmart conns fingerhut. Also care credit for $1000 dental and a $1k personal loan with avant. All easy approval.
If id just quit buying gun crap and pay them down id be in the 700's

I thought I might try to work with the one bank that has me bollixed... that charge off is for $30,000 IIRC??

I just recently picked up a CareCredit for dental work, and I paid that off on time, so that helps....
I have an AMEX that was mine before the bankruptcy and they dropped my max allowed about a 1/3rd, but recently restored that back to about where it was.... I am using it now on a regular basis and paying it off each month.... sort of rotating my debit card at the bank.... maybe I will get the big charge off taken care of without actually paying for it.... on SS that is never going to happen.

Upvote 0
I was hovering at about 740 for my credit score. I have a car loan and only had one credit card(from my bank with $1,000 limit). I never took student loans or anything. Always paying balances on time(never carried a balance on the credit card). Couldn't get it to go up any further, so I took out an Amex last month. They gave me an $8,000 limit and now my score is about 799. I'll be house shopping soon hopefully.

My uncle passed away on saturday and I will probably purchase a couple of his old rifles from his family.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones