Any ideas to save my GF's dropped Droid?

Last Updated:

1. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

She said it fell just a few inches onto a hard surface, not sure what part of the phone made impact.

Says she has done the following:
    battery pull for at least a min
    motorola troubleshooter
    attempt to do a hard reset, but nothing comes on screen...just backlight
    does get power, the buttons and keyboard light up when first plugging it in never see the boot screen
    after a min or so i get haptic feedback from only the screen - not the buttons

me: is it like your phone boots up and it thinks its on so you could navigate to settings but just cant see it
    her: yes

Any ideas? She's unrooted, ftr. Looking for any helpful tips at all about how to get her phone back. It'd really make her day and I'd get to look all SMRT for helping her to get a solution which could translate into other rewards :)

Advertisement
  2. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

If there's hardware damage causing this (likely) then there's no way around it.

3. cconover

cconover Well-Known Member

OP, you're not the first person to have this issue with their Droid by any stretch. It's actually happened to me about 3 or 4 times since June. The good news: I've always been able to get it back working. The bad news: it's never been the same solution twice.

What worked for me last time was doing a factory reset & wiping cache from recovery, and then powering up the phone & turning it around until the screen kicked on. I have no idea what actually caused it to come back or if wiping data & cache played into it at all, since I've gotten it working again in the past without doing that.

I think that this is actually some sort of design flaw in the Droid that allows this to happen, as a good number of people on this forum alone have reported this issue, and so far there's no definitive answer on how to get it working again.

If you figure it out, be sure to post back with your solution.

4. cconover

cconover Well-Known Member

So I actually had this happen to me last night for the 4th time in 6 months, and about 5 minutes ago got mine working again. Here's what worked for me:

To start with, I did a factory reset & wiped cache using the recovery mode & some screenshots & videos I found online to determine the key sequences (and then hoping I got it right). I have Clockworkmod Recovery installed on my Droid instead of the stock recovery manager, so I don't know the sequences for stock. However, I'll post a video later today of how to do stuff on the Droid with a dead screen.

Anyway, once I had (as far as I knew) wiped data & cache, I pulled the battery to make sure it was totally off, put it back in & powered on the phone as I normally would. I waited until I felt the little vibration that indicates the phone is done booting, and then checked to see if the data/cache wipe had worked. You'll know this by seeing whether pressing the Home button gives haptic feedback without having to swipe to unlock. When the phone is on first boot after a wipe it'll go directly to the setup wizard instead of presenting a lock screen, which means the buttons will respond to touch immediately.

Once I had confirmed that the wipe had been successful, I took to percussive maintenance. At this point I believe that there is a design flaw in the phone that doesn't cause the screen to physically break, but somewhere in the connection of the screen to the rest of the phone or within the screen itself there is something that can be loosened & result in the screen appearing to be dead. In reality however, it's only just loose enough that it won't show a picture but the proper amount of physical encouragement can put whatever is loose back where it belongs. Now, it doesn't seem to be a consistent technique so I can't guarantee it will work for anyone else (Heck, I haven't been able to guarantee success for myself, I've just been lucky so far).

What worked this most recent time for me was tapping the top left corner of the phone on a hard surface like a desk until the backlight was definitely on, not just behind the screen but the touch buttons too. As soon as this happened, I removed the battery & put it back in, then powered the phone on. Lo and behold, my screen sprang to life.

To be clear, I don't know whether this has fixed the problem in the past but it worked this time. Also, this is the first time that my phone's backlight didn't seem to be working along with the actual screen, the other 3 times there was backlight but no picture. The reason I bring this up is that the backlight not illuminating does not necessarily indicate that the screen is beyond repair.

I'm going to create a thread in the Droid Support forum where we can start to track solutions to this issue. Hopefully we will be able to create a definitive guide & information source for this problem, as it seems to be disconcertingly common.

Hope this helps.

5. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Had this happen to me for no good reason at the beginning of the month. I hadn't dropped it or anything. I jumped on the fact that my warranty was still good for another 4 days (so lucky) and returned it.

Note that it was rooted and I was running Ultimate Droid, which is totally themed to hell and back, so if they ever got it booted back up and didn't replace the NAND, it was OBVIOUS I rooted it. Just in case anyone is paranoid about letting Verizon know you rooted. ;)