Any issues with home & back buttons?Support

Last Updated:

1. toad6386

toad6386 Well-Known Member

I haven't found a way to control them, as yet, either, tho I was wanting to turn them on more! :eek: Some of the places I've been two have been light enough for the buttons to NOT come on, but dark enough where I can't see them (disclosure: I where glasses for a reason). So, combined with the smaller footprint that I'm used to and the lighting (or lack of), I'm sometimes literally taking a stab in the dark! :D

Advertisement
  2. Samcanadian

Samcanadian Well-Known Member

I find that if I tap the home or back buttons in the same way that I tap any other buttons, it's not as precise...so I've just gotten used to a bit of a flat-thumb mash technique to make sure I get em the first time. It doesn't bother me.
  3. toad6386

toad6386 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sam and welcome!!! :party:
  4. Samcanadian

Thanks! I'm just trying to rack up enough posts to add a few samples to the HTC One photo thread.
  5. Hockeydood

Hockeydood Member

Super helpful info. I ran thru most of the tests and my phone appears to be working fine. The only I've had with my One since I got it Friday night is the back button not working. No other issues to report. But there's been several times where I've given up and just hit Home and reentered the application to rectify the issue. If my biggest issue is an intermittent back issue, I'm TOTALLY ok with it. :smokingsomb:
  6. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

Mine is terrible...You basically have to hit it in such a way to make to work that you have I'd say a 50/50 shot of making either button work on my phone.

Honestly this is a stupid problem to have on a phone in 2013. I thought that all phones arriving with ICS and higher would have nexus style keys built into the OS? Anyone remember that whole hoopla that we heard when the Galaxy Nexus released?

My nexus 4 as well as Galaxy nexus never ever had a button problem, come to think of it non of my android phones dating back to the incredible had a button problem. Like is said, pretty ridiculous problem to have in the advanced stages of Android.
  7. tpXXV

tpXXV Member

Has anyone found the placement of the home button being cumbersome to press? I would imagine that using it with your right hand, the button might be TOO close, so as to tire your thumb.

Hopefully it's not a big deal, just wanted to check if any thoughts. Thanks
  8. ironman187

ironman187 Well-Known Member

No, just takes a little getting used to. I really wish they would have made the HTC logo the home button and put a menu button where this current home button is but...
    tpXXV likes this.
  9. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Moved to new thread.

Keep an eye on the root options available for your carrier/region if interested in making the logo become an actual button.

There's already a mod rolling out for that for rooters.
    Abird! and marctronixx like this.
  10. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the mod is a little cumbersome itself... It allows u to use back as the menu but if u disable the option in the settings it doesn't restore it back to stock form. Kind of a let down, really the only reason I rooted, so I'm just on stock now hoping HTC will fix their terrible layout issue
  11. Samcanadian

Again, it's terrible only if you're used to something else. I'm coming straight from a Blackberry so maybe that's why I can't quite figure out why there's this much vitriol against the layout on the One.
  12. Abird!

Abird! Well-Known Member

I think it's fine, coming from 4 buttons to 2 was an adjustment but I have no complaints :)
  13. timmertc

timmertc Well-Known Member

Me too - came from Galaxy S2 w/ 4 buttons. It's a little challenging to not have a menu button, but I'm getting used to it. It'd be great if they pushed an update to make the HTC logo a menu button.
  14. dgrobe2112

dgrobe2112 Well-Known Member Contributor

no complaints here.. sometimes though.. i hit too high.. and the menu in whatever app i am using pops up..
  15. grmln

grmln Member

i been using my new htc one for about 2 weeks now and i noticed sometime that the back wont sometimes respond when you try to press it but it works again when u switch the screen off and on again...the home button at this time is working perfectly. is anyone else having this issue?
    read somewhere that this is a known issue...not sure though
    anyone found a fix for this?
  16. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

grmln likes this.
  17. KOLIO

KOLIO SERIAL AGNOANDROIDIST Guide

An update has been pushed out to just about all HTC ONE owners that addresses this issue.

Go to SETTINGS > ABOUT PHONE > & verify that your phone is running the latest software.You can cross check this w/your carrier on their website.
    grmln likes this.
  18. grmln

grmln Member

im having the international version and apparently will only get the update my mid june...hopefully this issue will be fixed :)
  19. Frisco

I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. That device is highly regarded by nearly every review I've read. :)
  20. clsA

clsA Well-Known Member

The 4.2.2 update fix's a bunch of stuff ;)
  21. Hockeydood

Hockeydood Member

I have the One for Sprint and received an OTA update maybe 2 weeks ago fixing the sensitivity of the back and home buttons. Since that update (Android 4.1.2 SW version 1.29.651.10) I've had zero issues with back and home. Prior to the update I had near constant issues with back and home. If you are in the US I wouldn't be worried about the issue as the update appears to fix this issue.
  22. swrl

swrl New Member

Hi,
    I've had my phone for about 3 months and it has always worked fine. Since Saturday, the lights for the home and back button have remained lit up even when the phone is locked. They aren't full brightness but just dimly lit but it has never done this before. I've tried to do a factory reset as I'm sure they are not meant to remain on but it hasn't done anything

Has anyone else experienced this or know how i can stop them being on when locked?
    Thanks
  23. Frisco

Welcome aboard, swrl. :)

Depending on your carrier, there have been some OTA updates recently. See this thread:

http://androidforums.com/htc-one/72...issues-all-us-carriers-updated-7-23-13-a.html

and if you are international,

http://androidforums.com/htc-one/718794-4-2-2-sense-5-1-beginning-roll-out-in-some-areas-world.html

Do you recall receiving that OTA?

If you did a hard reset, you may have to go into the "about phone" area and check for updates.. I'm hoping the system will detect the need for that OTA.

Let us know, please.
    marctronixx likes this.
  24. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

OP.

are you rooted? what carrier?

did you install or remove any apps prior to this?

if you did do a factory reset and the problem remains, take it in for service.
  25. SolApathy

SolApathy Cleverness is not wisdom Guide

...Do you have a case? It may be covering part of the light sensor.