1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Any Keyboard that can do this?

Last Updated:

1. dylane

dylane Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Looking for a virtual keyboard that doesn't cover up the original screen when you are typing. I.E. if I'm typing something into a Google search box, I want to see the letters appearing in the search box, not some other box that I then have to send to the original application. Ideally it would also have a tab key on the main keyboard. Anything like this exist?

Advertisement
  2. Whiskeypawz

Whiskeypawz Well-Known Member

3. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! :D

It depends on what you mean by "cover up the original screen when you are typing".

• When you bring up the virtual keyboard in portrait mode, the application UI will be partially covered by the keyboard, and your typing should appear directly in the application field.
    • When you bring up the virtual keyboard in landscape mode, the application UI will be entirely replaced by the virtual keyboard, and your typing should appear in a temporary field. When you close the keyboard, the text will appear in whatever field was selected.
    • In either case, if your keyboard offers predictive suggestions, these will appear in a strip just above the keyboard.

Personally speaking, I absolutely abhor the "no UI" solution for landscape mode, as it makes a range of applications effectively useless. Sadly, that's the way it has to be -- the first two points (if not all three) apply to all keyboards because that's the dictated working from the OS. You simply cannot make a "transparent overlay" in Android.