• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any known memory hogs?

i'm regularly dropping down to 30MB or so of free memory, without anything in particular running.... i had AutoKiller installed, and i would go and check processes, yet thered be nothing that added up to the amount of memory that was tied up. in lieu of posting a list of all the apps i have installed, i was wondering if anyone knew of programs that hogged memory notoriously....

i have Advanced Task Killer, which auto-kills apps every 30mins. but even once ive hit that 30-40MB threshhold, ATK could kill all running apps (besides a few in the ignore list), and it might jump to 50 or so, but soon enough, right back to the same level.... any suggestions, because it seems to be even getting worse, leading my Captivate to lag slightly....

Android caches certain apps and Activities in memory as prefetch (kind of like how Windows does) so that they launch faster when you activate them. If it needs memory freed for another app it will free it itself. Having a small amount of memory free is not inherently / always a bad thing -- it is in fact a good thing if no apps are misbehaving or bloated and you're just letting the OS manage its own resources. If everything is going right your phone will feel snappier with less free memory.

You should let Android handle the hard stuff and not worry about how much memory is free or what's running in the background unless your phone stops responding. I have ATK but I only use it to kill apps that need FC (i.e. that have frozen or won't stop transferring data but aren't responding, etc). My phone pretty much never stutters or is slow and I never think about managing or closing apps, which makes using the phone more enjoyable.

Think of ATK like the task manager (ctrl+alt+del) in Windows ... you don't need to go killing processes unless they misbehave or freeze.

Upvote 0
Did you get rid of the AT&T bloatware? I did, and my phone hovers around 100MB free memory as well as running smoother.

yes, got rid of everything besides Allshare and the Music Player.

Android caches certain apps and Activities in memory as prefetch (kind of like how Windows does) so that they launch faster when you activate them. If it needs memory freed for another app it will free it itself. Having a small amount of memory free is not inherently / always a bad thing -- it is in fact a good thing if no apps are misbehaving or bloated and you're just letting the OS manage its own resources. If everything is going right your phone will feel snappier with less free memory.

You should let Android handle the hard stuff and not worry about how much memory is free or what's running in the background unless your phone stops responding. I have ATK but I only use it to kill apps that need FC (i.e. that have frozen or won't stop transferring data but aren't responding, etc). My phone pretty much never stutters or is slow and I never think about managing or closing apps, which makes using the phone more enjoyable.

Think of ATK like the task manager (ctrl+alt+del) in Windows ... you don't need to go killing processes unless they misbehave or freeze.

thats my point, i WOULDNT pay attention to how much memory i had, i dont check it at all until my phone DOES start to lag slightly, and its always once ive hit that threshhold around 30MB free or so.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones