• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any LG Volt ROMs available? I hate Kitkat, want to downgrade

A ton of things...

Addresses in Gmail cannot be tapped and open in Maps anymore. I have to manually copy and paste, and then open Maps and paste the address myself.

Maps will not stop asking me if I want to improve the accuracy of my location. With my previous phone, I told it to stop asking me and I never got that prompt again.

On my previous phone, Browser would open with my homepage every time I opened it. Now, it always opens on the last page I was on, even if I closed the browser or restarted my phone since that browsing session.

I can't find a way to get rid of Quick Settings notification bar. I want the clear button at the top of my phone.

For some reason, my phone constantly notifies that a system update has been downloaded. I try to install it to make it go away and it never does, so I am just stuck with this notification crowding my notification area. I looked for a way to turn off system updates and I can't. It will not stop doing this.

The Alarm does not display how many hours/minutes away it is from going off. It only briefly flashes that information when I first set the alarm. In the previous version of Android I had, it would display this information all the time.

I hate the new version of Google Hangouts. On my previous phone, I was able to run the old Google Talk apk, but it doesn't work in this version of Android.

This is just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more annoying things if I think about it some more. Kitkat is driving me NUTS. This phone is great -- the battery life is incredible. But this version of Android is a huge step backward.

Upvote 0
Your complaints are about individual apps, not KitKat. Except maybe the Quick Settings, which I don't know how to turn off... Don't get why that is such a big issue either.

Gmail does let you tap an address to open it in your GPS. It also let's you tap a phone number to open it in the dialer. I just did it. It won't work if the address is in an image though.

Maps... Just set your location settings to high accuracy. Very little impact on battery life. Use a different GPS.

Browser... Close all windows before exiting the browser. Check for an option in its settings. Use a different browser.

The update... Try booting into recovery (hold Power and Vol - when turning on the phone until it says Factory Reset Processing) and try clearing the cache. There may have been an issue with the download.

Alarm... Use a different alarm app.

Hangouts... Sorry? Talk has been replaced with Hangouts. Doesn't matter what version of Android you're on, it's Hangouts or something else entirely.

One of the great things about Android is that if you don't like something, you can find something else that works how you want.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My phone is rooted and there is not a way to remove or disable Quick Settings. Believe me, I have looked. Rooting doesn't fix any of the things I hate about Kitkat right now.
None of things you mention, aside from the Quick Settings have anything to do with KitKat. Find different apps that work the way you want and uninstall the ones you don't like. You didn't say your phone was rooted before, so how would we know? Here's a rooted zv5 update ROM. That will take care of your update issue. You shouldn't have been trying to OTA update on a rooted phone anyway.

http://androidforums.com/threads/lg-volt-stock-zv5-rooted-rom-odex-deodex.896545/

Also, it was mentioned above that you can disable the Quick Settings with G2 Tweaks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My phone is rooted and there is not a way to remove or disable Quick Settings. Believe me, I have looked. Rooting doesn't fix any of the things I hate about Kitkat right now.
You obviously haven't looked hard enough. If you're rooted, download xposed framework and then use gravity box to remove quick settings. That's what I've done

Rooting can change almost anything about android. You just need to learn how

Upvote 0
You obviously haven't looked hard enough. If you're rooted, download xposed framework and then use gravity box to remove quick settings. That's what I've done

Rooting can change almost anything about android. You just need to learn how

cool thanks, I didn't know gravity box would take away quicksettings. I've never really messed with xposed framework except to get the advanced power menu

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones