• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any map apps like Nokia Here?

CSMR

Jul 30, 2013
I use an android phone and am happy with the range of software, except am missing a good map app. Google maps does not have good offline functionality and has a confusing and inconsistent interface IMO.

Eventually I would like to find a good navigation app too. I have tried NavFree but first impressions have not been good: very slow even on a high end device.

I gave my parents windows phones and have found the Nokia "Here" apps to be excellent, both maps and navigation ("drive"). I've ended up borrowing these phones when I need to find my way around and I am thinking of getting a second windows phone to use as a dedicated mapping device.

Of course I would prefer to have all this software on my android phone. Am I missing any good apps hidden in the app store? No need to be free, but should be less expensive than buying a second phone.

Thanks!

There are a lot. And a lot of previous threads on the subject.
You breezed by my favorite offline map (Navfree).
I used it on my last phone (Samsung Infuse) and my current phone (Samsung S4).
I haven't seen anything I'd call slow.
Unless maybe you're talking about the time between asking for directions and starting navigation? I've come to expect some delay in all map apps... more delay the longer the trip.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I use Navigate by Route66 for navigation by car. The app and maps are free to download and use for route checking and general map information. For navigation you pay for a licence (you get a month free trial). I've used it extensively in UK, Florida and Spain and am well pleased with it.

For walking I use OsmAnd+ (the paid for version) which was

Upvote 0
I use AutoNavi, works completely offline. Really detailed POIs and other localities. Has all the cameras and regular speed-traps as well. :thumbup:

Even has my school on it....
Screenshot_2014-05-07-22-02-20-812.jpg

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.autonavi.xmgd.navigator.toc

Upvote 0
BigRedGonzo;[URL="tel:6555440" said:
6555440[/URL]]For navigation you may want to look at CoPilot. The US version is very reasonably priced and it is loaded with features. I haven't found a feature that is was missing yet.

#1 for CoPilot. Been using it for over 3 yrs now and its my first choice in Navigation now. (It use to be Google Maps.) I really like all the features and customizations of the app. Rerouting is really fast too. You can search POI's using the internet as well as the one's stored on phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones