Any musicians here? What instrument(s) do you play? What music apps do you like best?

1. Notes_Norton

Notes_Norton Well-Known Member

I am pretty new to smart phones (few months now) so I'm curious.

I'm a professional musician The Sophisticats and play (in the order than I learned them)
    1. drums
    2. saxophone - (the instrument I am best at)
    3. voice
    4. flute
    5. minimal rhythm guitar - (doubling with barre chords in bands where there was no sax part)
    6. bass
    7. keyboards
    8. wind synthesizer
    9. lead guitar

What instrument(s) do you play?

What musical apps do you like?

And why?

Thanks,
    Notes ♫

Advertisement
    :
    ramtin59far likes this.
  2. tommy_ed

tommy_ed Well-Known Member

Mostly sing and play guitar around the local bars and festivals, but piano is one of my favorites to play.

-Lead Vocals
    -Rhythm Guitar
    -Piano/Organ
    -Ukulele
    -Djembe

I like the gstrings app, i use it to tune my ukulele when i forget my tuner!

check out my group on facebook! Failure Savvy

it'd be pretty cool if you could click the "like" button while you're on there ;)
    ramtin59far likes this.
  3. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

I'm just doing vocals right now, but I am also proficient with:

Bass Guitar
    Guitar
    Drums

My band is in my signature. We're posting music probably in a couple weeks, as we're almost done recording.
    ramtin59far likes this.
  4. I'm in a community Samba percussion band :) I'm our most regular agogo (uh, cowbell) player. I've dabbled in the ukulele in the past, but really, I've come to the conclusion I'm a better dancer than I am a musician (13+ years ballet, 8 years jazz, 4 years belly dance, less than one year African Dance and Capoeira).
  5. Notes_Norton

I'm a better musician than a dancer ;) I've lived on the other side of the microphone all my life. But that's a good place to watch the dancers.
    ramtin59far likes this.
  6. macgiobuin

macgiobuin Well-Known Member

I scare my cat and small children with my mandolin. I also use "GStrings"app to tune it.
  7. JunBringer

GStrings is better than any tuner I've spent money on.
  8. Notes_Norton

Thanks, I'll try GStrings. I have DaTuner and it works, but only if the room is very quiet. It seems to be too sensitive to other sounds.

Notes
    ramtin59far likes this.
  9. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Gstrings is good indeed.
    ramtin59far likes this.
  10. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Operatic tenor. Juilliard trained. Bachelor's and Master's degree. Sang professionally. Teaching, now. :D
    Granite1 likes this.
  11. gf0x9898

gf0x9898 Member

guitar, winamp
  12. andywarno

andywarno Well-Known Member

I'm a drummer. Only been doing it since February of '08. Got myself a nice 5 piece Pearl Export EX, and it's the best purchase I've ever made.

I play in a band. Been playing together since October '10. We do cover stuff. We're just now getting around to being comfortable playing together and starting to write our own stuff. We have a couple videos and pics on our Facebook page from a few shows we've played. You can Like us if you wish.
  13. JunBringer

14. I mainly play bass but started out on guitar. I've messed around on a drum kit but it was embarrassing.

I'm rocking a pretty classic rig: 2007 Fender American Vintage '60s Reissue Jazz, Lakland Darryl Jones 4 Jazz, Ampeg SVT-VR, and an Ampeg SVT810E. Mmm.

I'm also into music production/recording so I have a cheap MIDI keyboard/DAW controller and a couple of audio interfaces. Those aren't my strong areas but I enjoy messing around when I'm alone.

I haven't really found any must-have apps for my needs but I do enjoy those keyboards. It's fun to be able to create melodies when I have time to kill. I could definitely use a metronome app but I have one on my Zune HD already. Since the Zune gets considerably better battery life, I'll just stick with that. It's easy enough to hook it up to my PA for when I practice.
  15. NOLA_Droid

NOLA_Droid Well-Known Member

16. jimjeffcoat

jimjeffcoat Active Member

Play guitar, like gStrings.
  17. NightHawk877

NightHawk877 Well-Known Member

I'm a trumpet player with 10 years of experience. I don't have a favorite music app. As long as it does what I want it to do like help me tune my trumpet, I'm cool. I don't need a metronome. I have a natural sense of time.
  18. Android26

Android26 Well-Known Member

I play saxophone the best (mostly jazz) and like to think I play guitar, trumpet, flute, and piano too but not really lol.

ZPlayer is great for listening to my music. And gStrings is a great tuner.
  19. I play guitar and bass. I'm not that great at bass, but guitar is what I do. I own a Gibson Flying V (Gloss Cherry finish, rewired volume/tone pots), a Eiphone SG-400 (beat the crapp outta it), and I play into a little Silvertone combo amp from the 60's (my username).

I like the gStrings tuner.
  20. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Well-Known Member

Banjo - 5 string
    Guitar
    Flute
    B-Flat Coronet
    Mandolin
    A few others you likely do not know unless you Google

Looking to purchase a Deering Crossfire and add Midi capabilities

I am one hell of a goofy one man band.
  21. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

Guitar. GStrings. (Broken record eh?)

I'm trying to teach myself piano...
  22. Notes_Norton

After many years on the saxophone, and years of dabbling on the guitar, a few years ago, I decided to get serious with the guitar, and I'm discovering what a wonderful instrument it is to play.

G-Strings seems to be the winner with musicians.
  23. Saltine713

Saltine713 Well-Known Member

I sing a bit but mostly play the guitar and drums.
  24. iTzKPanda

iTzKPanda AF's resident panda

I sing a little, electric and acoustic guitar, piano and electric bass.
  25. saptech

saptech Well-Known Member

I used to play drums and sang but its been years since I've done it when I was in a group.