• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any musicians here? What instrument(s) do you play? What music apps do you like best?

I've got four guitars and a bass guitar. I've got:
BC Rich Mockingbird Bronze Edition (Red)
BC Rich Warlock Mick Thomson ("Starter Kit")
Schecter Gryphon-7 Diamond Series (Transparent Black)
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest (Cherry Red)

I have a lot of fun with Nodebeat and I've been fooling around with FL Studio lately, mostly. Like synthesizing music and they allow for this, even if FL is sometimes buggy

Upvote 0
Currently I play drums after about 15 years that I never touched them. I have played them about once in a week for last 6-7 months and still feel like I don't play them as good as I did back then. Well, getting better, and that is good.

I do play piano when I visit my parents and would like to have one of my own, but having wife and kids does not only take my money, but time and all extra room from apartment as well. I'm not complaining though..

Guitar (electric and acoustic) was my instrument as a teenager, but I got frustrated because even if I tried so hard, Master of puppets was too fast for me. Gonna get some guitars also, when I get more money, room and time.

Upvote 0
Looking to change musical direction atm - perhaps Church stuff if I can work out how but...

I'm all informal/amateur and mostly folk and within that mostly Irish dance (jigs, reels, etc) on mandolin/ ("Irish" rather than jazz tuned) tenor banjo (basically GDAE tuned fretted things and I like 5th tunings for melody). Dabble a bit on guitar, did play a bit of Morris dance on D/G melodeon, have a 5 string electric bass...

App wise. I do prefer to have a clip on tuner but I'm quite happy with Da Tuner as a standby.

Upvote 0
Still makin that Tenor Sax Scream!!
I know how to bring it!!

That sounds like cruelty to musical instruments but maybe they like it?

I must admit to having mixed feelings about the sax family. Sometimes they seem that bit to brazen to me although perhaps you would argue that is their strength?

On balance (although neither are really used in my folk world), I probably prefer it's relation the clarinet, eg.

Chris Barber's JB Monty Sunshine 1956 Petite Fleur - YouTube

Upvote 0
Still makin that Tenor Sax Scream!!
I know how to bring it!!

My first instrument was drums (School band with limited rental instruments) then the tenor sax player moved. I've been doing sax ever since. I added flute, guitar, bass, wind synthesizer and keyboard synth since and even learned how to sing.

I make a living playing music and writing software to help other musicians make their own backing tracks. No regrets. I'm living life on my own terms, have no boss to answer to, and live by my own good decisions and learn from the bad ones.

Getting on stage and playing music to an appreciative audience is my second favorite thing to do (it's a family forum so I can't tell you what's first <grin>)

Notes

Upvote 0
That sounds like cruelty to musical instruments but maybe they like it?

I must admit to having mixed feelings about the sax family. Sometimes they seem that bit to brazen to me although perhaps you would argue that is their strength?

On balance (although neither are really used in my folk world), I probably prefer it's relation the clarinet, eg.

Chris Barber's JB Monty Sunshine 1956 Petite Fleur - YouTube

Oh, Indeed, my Sax likes it a lot!!! And give me an alto Sax, and I will make it growl!!! :D\Got a Bass? Lets play!!:)

Upvote 0
I do have an 5 string electric bass but I struggle with it. 1) my head still wants to play melody and b) I find the way notes sustain hard to cope with. Needs a technique I've not found yet. Stilll trying to think of a bass (I think in this case double bass) line I really like. Can you do anything with Fever?

Fever - Peggy Lee - YouTube

Sure, Pretty simple stuff.:D I prefer to play alongside something like a David Gilmore lead guitar from lets say Comfortably Numb:) Jazz doesn't do it for me, :p

Upvote 0
I've gone through musical stages on what I like to listen to best. Now I just listen to a bit of everything from blues to classical (Romantic period and forward).

Favorite sax players are Stan Getz, Stanley Turrentine, Paul Desmond, Houston Person, Ben Webster, Zoot Sims, Earl Bostic, and I appreciate hundreds of others. It's actually hard to stop the list of favorite sax players.

IMHO sax and flat top acoustic guitar don't go together easily, it takes two talented people to make that work. But listen to Stan Getz with Louis Bonfa or Charlie Byrd and you can hear it works quite well with the right people. But if I sit in with some flat top pickers, I generally choose to get the flute out, as it is much easier to blend with that instrument.

I've been making my living playing music since I graduated high school, and have no regrets.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones