any N1 owners get a xoom?

1. outoffocus

outoffocus Well-Known Member

Apologies for the OT. My N1 is the baseline for making any other Android purchasing decisions. :D

Of all the complaints I hear about the N1, the one feature I'd like to see improved is the radio.. My Macbook can grab a wifi signal that my N1 can barely see. I travel a lot and need a good wifi reception.

Wondering how the Xoom holds up on wifi reception and generally how you like it.

Thanks!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Air Force One

Air Force One Well-Known Member

I've personally found wifi reception to be EXCELLLENT. Better than both my Nexus and Thunderbolt. But that is just me I cannot guarantee it will be the same for you. I've seen Xoom owners complain about wifi reception as well so you just never really know.

There is a room on the opposite end of my house from the router that I start to drop wifi on both N1 and TB, but the Xoom gets very solid reception there.
  3. Dolmangar

Dolmangar Well-Known Member

I've looked a them twice now, but I'm waiting for a WiFi only tablet. The Xoom may still be the choice, but I expect by the time I get around to actually buying something I'll have been able to test out something else. The Pure Google aspect of the Xoom is appealing.

I haven't had much trouble with my N1 WiFi's strength. I do occasionally have it go to sleep on me, however 2.3.3 seems to handle that more gracefully.

I bought my wife an iPad (1) last year and had a terrible time keeping WiFi connected. Between updating the firmware in my router and I suspect some quiet Apple updates that problem resolved itself.

4. outoffocus

outoffocus Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. I'm a photographer. Been eyeing the Ipad2 purely for the 'shuttersnitch' app which is not yet available on Android. Shuttersnitch lets you wifi your pad to your camera send pics across. I need it (sort of) now.

But I've been playing around with the whole itunes/store/ipod thing again just to remember what it was. I cannot believe how crap the user experience is. Sure you can get used to anything, but itunes has become a monstrosity.

Made me realize I'd like to stick to an Android system. Maybe Xoom it is for now. I'm sure there will be a shuttersnitch like app soon enough..

Good to hear the wifi is solid.
  5. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

Been playing around with a Nook Color and a Galaxy Tab for a tablet. Got both for a resonable price (only plan on keeping one). I just can't commit to the high prices of a tablet yet. After using the Nook Color for a week I realized that what I really want (not really a need) is to be able to view websites and play games on a larger screen when I am at work or on the train. The Nook Color 2.1 worked well but the experience isn't as good as 2.2 to which the tab (haven't gotten it yet) has. I will definitely will be looking to get a high powered tablet later this year if the prices fall.
  6. Dolmangar

I came THIS close to buying a Nook Color so that I could run Honeycomb from an SD card. I held off but I'm one impulsive moment away from doing it. The Nook Color does feel cheap in your hands though. And the reviews I read seem mixed as to running 3.0 on it. I'm sure that a lot has to do with the class SD card you buy. I'd mostly use it for web and reading in the evening so it might be good enough.

However I would like the front facing camera too, I do a semi-weekly GTalk video conference with my sister's family using a laptop so that my daughter can keeps in touch with her cousin. Having a tablet that can handle that without all the setup and extra camera would be nice.
  7. Mostly Harmless

My personal opinion is that the Nook Color doesn't feel cheap at all. It felt solid to me with a lot of weight behind it (could be a plus or a minus). The screen was beautiful, it was really easy to read websites on it etc... It felt like it could take a beating. No creaks or anything like that.

I got a good deal on the Galaxy Tab so I am going to give it a shot (I really wanted 2.2 stock). I really don't need gps/cameras/bluetooth because my only real purpose for getting a tablet is to being to get view the internet on a larger screen (plus movies on the side etc..). If the Nook Color goes get an update from Barnes and Noble to 2.2 it will really be a bargin. But since the Galaxy tab has it 2.2 stock without the need for rooting I figure it's worth a shot (plus it does have all that stuff, cameras/gps/bluetooth on it). Like I said I got a good deal on the Tab (makes it on par with the nook), so it will be a heads up fight for me.

My only question is can you get the Gtalk video chat to work with the Galaxy tab? I thought Gtalk video is only avaliable on honecomb (and through the computer application).
  8. Dolmangar

I believe that video talk on 2.2+ (non Honeycomb) devices works with non-gtalk systems. TMobile has their own and the other carriers have their own, which means they can't talk to each other, and probably not to desktops.

I think Skype can also be used on 2.2 for video.

Someone please jump in here if I'm off base.

Native GTalk is what I want, then it's pretty much available anywhere and with anyone (who has a gmail account) without special software. You could even do half video with someone who didn't have a camera on their end.

It would be great if Google would add the functionality to Gingerbread, but then they might have a more difficult time getting tablets to move up to 3.0.
  9. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

How? Where? Can I cash in on that *_*
  10. Mostly Harmless

Used, right here on this forum. If you compare new to new, even if Samsung releases a wifi model for $399 the nook will still have it beat by $150. I will let you know what I think of the tab compared to the nook once I get a chance to play with it. My big concerns with the tab will be battery life. I got a cdma (Verizon) model that I am going to leave in airplane mode with wifi turned on (using the n1 as a hotspot) .
  11. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Oh, nice! I was thinking of getting my sister either the Nook or iPad1 for her bday coming up. I'm leaning towards the Nook but my sister is the MOST tech illiterate person I know, thus the iPad1, lol.

I have my eyes on the U1 Lenovo dual tablet/notebook...might wait for the 'second' gen...if Lenovo ever decides to release the U1.