• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any new phone rumors for Sprint?

could US customers.. import a PadPhone and get them started on a carrier in usa?
which carrier??? Tmobile?

Pretty sure ATT and Tmobile do...thing is, would the radios in the Padfone 2 (international version) be able to take advantage of Tmobile's HSPA+? I know they wouldn't be able to connect to ATT's LTE network.

Upvote 0
Pretty sure ATT and Tmobile do...thing is, would the radios in the Padfone 2 (international version) be able to take advantage of Tmobile's HSPA+?
I guess it would depend upon whether the device had HSPA+ support? Took a quick look, last night, and it looks like HSPA+ has (some?) world-wide adoption.

I know they wouldn't be able to connect to ATT's LTE network.
Eh. The Death Star. No loss :p

Jim

Upvote 0
Just a quick side-note, for those of you that didn't get to see the shuttle fly by, the shuttle flew by the Hollywood area and I took a short vid from a corner office. Link is in my signature, if you want to check it out.

-EDIT- Not showing up in my signature, so here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGcBjCWr2CM&feature=plcp

Okay, so getting back to future Sprint Phones...I'm gonna be so upset if the Padfone 2 eventually gets to Sprint, when I've already gotten the Note 2. As much as I like the Note 2's functionality overall, the Padfone 2 is absolutely ideal.

Upvote 0
That right there will make it hard. The Note is tops due to the S-Pen and the S Apps, The pad phone is nice cause it takes the Motorola Webtop concept to an even better concept level.

Now if both of them can be combined then woo hoo, that would be a killer product.

TS

Hey, Samsung's not afraid of being taken to court for patent infringement...LOL...Do it, Samsung!...hahahaha

Upvote 0
That right there will make it hard. The Note is tops due to the S-Pen and the S Apps, The pad phone is nice cause it takes the Motorola Webtop concept to an even better concept level.

Now if both of them can be combined then woo hoo, that would be a killer product.

TS

Quick question....it seems the lapdock didn't sell as well as Moto would've hope. Since the padphone is the follows the same premise, what's going to make it sell any better than the lapdock did?

Upvote 0
Quick question....it seems the lapdock didn't sell as well as Moto would've hope. Since the padphone is the follows the same premise, what's going to make it sell any better than the lapdock did?

Lapdock mostly didn't sell well because of pricing. Same with the padfone. But the concept behind both was actually very good. Maybe not "ideal" for power users that are constantly on the go and need more powerful equipment, but decent enough to accomplish tasks when needed.

The main difference is the tablet on the padfone allows for interaction with the apps and functions similar to how the phone would, whereas the lapdock had separate mobile phone mirroring screen and webdock screen. So if you wanted to view netflix on the webdock, let's say on the lapdock 100 (I have it), you have to interact with the mobile view, open the app, take the phone out of the holder and lay it flat, in order for the screen to rotate appropriately to view on the lapdock. With the tablet dock of the padfone, it still rotates accordingly just like any tablet would and however the phone would.

Reactions: ScandaLeX
Upvote 0
^ This.

Like Drex said, pricing and since Webtop was Linux on top of Linux, it wasted plenty of space that could have been used. Over at xda, webtop guru Loki created a more enhanced Webtop that actually allowed users to use webtop as intended.

In my opinion, Motorola should have enhanced the lapdock experience by instead of plugging in via a cable or in the rear of the dock, it should have been the side and made the phone as a mouse/touch interface. With Google stating that they will incorporate lapdock design into Android, I thought they will continue and enhance the concept, but that did not happen. The pad phone does it a bit better but lets see if it catches on and carriers sell them.

TS

Upvote 0
^ This.

Like Drex said, pricing and since Webtop was Linux on top of Linux, it wasted plenty of space that could have been used. Over at xda, webtop guru Loki created a more enhanced Webtop that actually allowed users to use webtop as intended.

In my opinion, Motorola should have enhanced the lapdock experience by instead of plugging in via a cable or in the rear of the dock, it should have been the side and made the phone as a mouse/touch interface. With Google stating that they will incorporate lapdock design into Android, I thought they will continue and enhance the concept, but that did not happen. The pad phone does it a bit better but lets see if it catches on and carriers sell them.

TS

Yup. Loki's work making webtop work like it should, is incredible. I wish they would've given it one more go with google at the helm, but oh well.

I wonder, if the padfone 2 event on 10/16 would also announce if it would be coming to the us. If they do, I think that's the only phone that would make me hold off on a pre-order for the note 2.

Upvote 0
^ This.

TS
Agreed. I also feel Moto should've made it more universal. IMO, it made absolutely no sense to keep producing different docks (100, 500, Pro). I remember when someone was able to hack the hell out of their Atrix lapdock so he could use it for the Photon. Just seemed like overkill.

Upvote 0
I'm really starting to get interested in this Padfone 2....especially if it becomes part of the Nexus line.

That would be absolutely ideal! The main thing that kills that from happening is the us providers having separate tablet plans w/ 3g or 4g connectivity.

I think t-mobile would make the biggest splash if they were the first to offer the padfone.

Ideally, I'd love to see sprint be the first, but I don't know if they can afford the risk.

Upvote 0
That would be absolutely ideal! The main thing that kills that from happening is the us providers having separate tablet plans w/ 3g or 4g connectivity.

I think t-mobile would make the biggest splash if they were the first to offer the padfone.

Ideally, I'd love to see sprint be the first, but I don't know if they can afford the risk.

Why is that?

Upvote 0
Why is that?

Nevermind. I thought they were the only ones without 3g connected tablets, but I guess they have some too.

In that case, I don't believe anybody in the US is going to offer it...LOL. Then again, ATT, Verizon, & Sprint all supported Motorola lapdock enabled phones, so I guess there's a slight/outside chance.

If they don't mention anything about US availability on 10/16, I'll be fine getting the Note 2 or the Optimus G.

Upvote 0
Nevermind. I thought they were the only ones without 3g connected tablets, but I guess they have some too.

In that case, I don't believe anybody in the US is going to offer it...LOL. Then again, ATT, Verizon, & Sprint all supported Motorola lapdock enabled phones, so I guess there's a slight/outside chance.

If they don't mention anything about US availability on 10/16, I'll be fine getting the Note 2 or the Optimus G.

Just wish Sprint had made it easier to purchase the lapdock. All stores I was in only kept a display model. It had to be ordered and they said about 5 days to get it. That was 5 days too long.

Upvote 0
Just wish Sprint had made it easier to purchase the lapdock. All stores I was in only kept a display model. It had to be ordered and they said about 5 days to get it. That was 5 days too long.

Wow, really? I guess that's the good thing about L.A. There was a small Sprint location at a mall near my work, I walked in and bought the lapdock 100 and another small accessory with the 20% discount. And they still had a few left in stock. The corporate locations all had multiple lapdocks in stock also.

Upvote 0

Unless HTC figured out a way to make their stylus much better than it was for the Flyer, a Phablet from them wouldn't really interest me much, even if it is a Nexus device. I have always loved HTC's designs and build quality, but the LTEvo is the only device that really has intrigued me the most of all their released devices.

Ultimately, I think the S-Pen is the biggest seller for me, when it comes to Phablets. That probably has a lot to do with my past phones having a stylus integrated, but the S-Pen goes beyond what I had imagined for a phone stylus.

Upvote 0
I was reading through this Phandroid blog:
New Nexus device to be based on HTC Droid Incredible X [RUMOR]

And it brought up the old article back in May about the 5 Nexii devices
[Breaking] Google to release 5 Nexus devices on November 5th to celebrate Android’s 5th birthday | TalkAndroid.com

Didn't realize that a date was targeted! This makes it very interesting. Although, I'm assuming all the phones that Google will be selling through the Play Store will be unlocked GSM phones, it still makes me intrigued if they'll also make US Carrier specific versions available at that time also.

That would fall somewhat in line with the Optimus G (Eclipse) being brought to the US as one of the Nexus phones because of the timeline. Also, considering ATT's version passed through the FCC with the same specs (minus the different radios), it really makes me wonder if this rumor was pretty accurate.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones