• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any new Verizon Androids before January?

I'm just waiting for the 5th-6th (or if it something leaks earlier) to decide if I ultimately should get the droid or get whatever is being announced.

i posted this on another thread but.. what do you guys consider an 'early january' release? wouldn't that be in the week of CES? otherwise we head into mid january. they also say it's launching next week. would this lead us to assume that these speculated phones would be announced and released within days of CES? i'm not familiar much with CES, but is that even possible (to release a phone days after the announcement at CES)?

just wondering- thanks
jen

Upvote 0
Not exactly. Before the Droid the Hero was the best Android phone out there. Verizon got both the Eris and the Droid. The Storm 2 should be pretty good for blackberries (if only it had been the Storm 1) not to mention another top BB coming soon. Now Verizon is getting both the Palm Pre and Pixi. Heck soon enough they may have the Iphone along with a snapdragon android by april at the latest giving them the top smartphones across the board.

As true as that may be, I'm a typical consumer, I want instant gratification. If they told me the Bravo was coming out tomorrow it still wouldn't be soon enough. I hope that Verizon does make an attempt to take some sort of lead in the hardware realm, but the bitter facts are that the Droid is the first phone Verizon has had that is a real leader in it's group. VZW may get the iPhone and the Palm Pre and Pixi, but these devices are old news and they have been sold on other networks already. VZW needs to do a little company reorganization and put someone with a better idea of what the consumer wants on top. I don't know about you guys, but I despise Motorola thus I refuse to purchase anything they put out. Give me HTC.

Upvote 0
I'm just waiting for the 5th-6th (or if it something leaks earlier) to decide if I ultimately should get the droid or get whatever is being announced.

I'm with you. I don't just want new phone, I need a new phone.

In the end if any of these rumors is true, then we should get something in early Jan or April. That being the case, I can get something now on a 1 year contract and still be within my 30 days if it comes out in Jan or only be a few months from an early upgrade if it comes out in April.

Upvote 0
I really want the Bravo, but I want a different phone now. I've found someone on Craigslist willing to trade my BB and a little $ for his Eris. Seems like a deal seeing as it keeps me from signing a new contract with Verizon for now. I want to use my upgrade discount on a phone that I really will want for the next 2 years, but the Eris will do until then.

Upvote 0
I was kicking around all this new info in my head and I thought "wait a minute". There was that anonymous tip to BGR that stated the Passion was coming Thanksgiving or mid-Dec, depending on when it was ready. Obviously neither happened. And FD commented earlier in this thread that Verizon wanted to release it Dec 6th but HTC was not ready with the phone. So now the Passion is the Nexus One, Verizon isn't getting it, and the Incredible (which they are getting) is coming in April. Whoa... That's a complete 180 from what was being said about Verizon getting the phone. It is sounding very much to me like HTC and/or Google decided to shaft Verizon.

@FatedDistress - do you have any insight on this?

Upvote 0
I'm with you. I don't just want new phone, I need a new phone.

In the end if any of these rumors is true, then we should get something in early Jan or April. That being the case, I can get something now on a 1 year contract and still be within my 30 days if it comes out in Jan or only be a few months from an early upgrade if it comes out in April.

whats early january considered? wouldn't that be the same week as CES? is that possible? otherwise we head into mid january.

Upvote 0
whats early january considered? wouldn't that be the same week as CES? is that possible? otherwise we head into mid january.

Other people on here know better than I do, but I would think if they are going to make an announcement in relation to CES they would do it before or first thing. Wouldn't make a lot of sense to announce it in the middle of the event, and have lost days to promote what they announce.

Of course, it doesn't make sense that they have always been behind with the good phones. :)

Upvote 0
I was kicking around all this new info in my head and I thought "wait a minute". There was that anonymous tip to BGR that stated the Passion was coming Thanksgiving or mid-Dec, depending on when it was ready. Obviously neither happened. And FD commented earlier in this thread that Verizon wanted to release it Dec 6th but HTC was not ready with the phone. So now the Passion is the Nexus One, Verizon isn't getting it, and the Incredible (which they are getting) is coming in April. Whoa... That's a complete 180 from what was being said about Verizon getting the phone. It is sounding very much to me like HTC and/or Google decided to shaft Verizon.

I think that some of the previous posts were probably rumors that were incorrect. I'd think that if VZW was the planned carrier for the Passion/N1 and it was pulled out from under them that we would have heard something official about that type of situation by now. Also, with as close to market as the phone seems, it looks like it's been in T-Mo's pipeline for some time and was never headed toward Verizon. I still hold out hope that the Bravo/Incredible will be coming to VZW, but all signs point to a later release.

I'm going to pack a lunch and wait this one out.

Upvote 0
I think that some of the previous posts were probably rumors that were incorrect. I'd think that if VZW was the planned carrier for the Passion/N1 and it was pulled out from under them that we would have heard something official about that type of situation by now. Also, with as close to market as the phone seems, it looks like it's been in T-Mo's pipeline for some time and was never headed toward Verizon. I still hold out hope that the Bravo/Incredible will be coming to VZW, but all signs point to a later release.

I'm going to pack a lunch and wait this one out.

My question is if the Passion is truly the Nexus One, what happened to the Dragon? The name is in the 2.1 Rom and there are dumps out there under its name. What became the Nexus was originally named Dragon according to unlockr but there were differences in branding between that and the N1.

Upvote 0
My question is if the Passion is truly the Nexus One, what happened to the Dragon? The name is in the 2.1 Rom and there are dumps out there under its name. What became the Nexus was originally named Dragon according to unlockr but there were differences in branding between that and the N1.

My fault, misinterpretation.

This is all getting very confusing between codenames and release names. All I can see is that the preliminary reports of the Passion showed a low res photo of a phone that is unmistakeably the Nexus One at this point. Is it possible that the N1 is really the Dragon and we're all just wrong about it being named Passion due to some amount of unreliable information?

Upvote 0

I wouldn't say that Verizon got the shaft at all. You may have remembered reading other articles about the N1 when it was first leaked that stated that Verizon had turned down Google's offer the sell this phone. Verizon Execs were quoted saying that they had other plans for Google. In other words they most likely found that I would be more advantageous to work with HTC directly on other devices then to help Google sell their unsubsidized one rate plan phone.

Also, (this is purely my opinion and not from leaked info) HTC probably WAS developing a Passion and PassionC at one point that would have found its way to all providers. Google has had a long standing relationship with HTC and probably had a lot to do with how this phone comes to market. Google most likely had a conversation that went along the lines of, "Hey HTC what BIG phones do have coming out in the next 1 - 6 months?... The Passion huh?...Okay how but just giving us the exclusive rights to sell it ourselves?"

Just my .02. Feel free to shoot holes in my theories.

Upvote 0
I would wait till at least CES is over before buying anything at this point..although I have to admit I have been stalking Droid auctions on Ebay ;)

There is a lot of speculation in this thread...we went from 1.6 million new HTC phones in VZW stock ready to ship...to an April 2010 release...so I personally would put too much faith in that info...especially since everyone already knows the Nexxus is made by HTC for the big G.

I have a Storm1, which is actually running very well with OS 5.0 but I'm bored with it & have recently moved my business and personal email to Google. So I am ready for Android!

Also, one thing to keep in mind: Verizon is missing an Android world phone from its lineup. HTC has made world phones for VZW previously..most recently the HTC Imagio.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't say that Verizon got the shaft at all. You may have remembered reading other articles about the N1 when it was first leaked that stated that Verizon had turned down Google's offer the sell this phone. Verizon Execs were quoted saying that they had other plans for Google. In other words they most likely found that I would be more advantageous to work with HTC directly on other devices then to help Google sell their unsubsidized one rate plan phone.

Also, (this is purely my opinion and not from leaked info) HTC probably WAS developing a Passion and PassionC at one point that would have found its way to all providers. Google has had a long standing relationship with HTC and probably had a lot to do with how this phone comes to market. Google most likely had a conversation that went along the lines of, "Hey HTC what BIG phones do have coming out in the next 1 - 6 months?... The Passion huh?...Okay how but just giving us the exclusive rights to sell it ourselves?"

Thing is the N1 isn't branded as HTC so how much of the cut does HTC get? Somehow I doubt its as much as if it were their own phone. Hence I don't think the N1 is going to be the end all be all of HTC phones. So it would be in the best interest of HTC to kick out their own super phone as soon as possible.

Upvote 0
Thing is the N1 isn't branded as HTC so how much of the cut does HTC get? Somehow I doubt its as much as if it were their own phone. Hence I don't think the N1 is going to be the end all be all of HTC phones. So it would be in the best interest of HTC to kick out their own super phone as soon as possible.

But I'm guessing that Google paid HTC a huge incentive to sell the phone as theirs.

Upvote 0
My fault, misinterpretation.

This is all getting very confusing between codenames and release names. All I can see is that the preliminary reports of the Passion showed a low res photo of a phone that is unmistakeably the Nexus One at this point. Is it possible that the N1 is really the Dragon and we're all just wrong about it being named Passion due to some amount of unreliable information?

I just find it interesting the first pics it was called the Dragon. Leads me to think there is more then 1 phone coming.
There was one article from Engadget that said the Bravo and N1 were related and the difference was branding.
HTC Bravo pictured more lucidly (Update: coming to US in January as HTC Passion) -- Engadget
There are also 5 names in play from the 2.1 ROM: Bravo, Dragon, Incredible, Passion and PassionC. From the leaked 2010 european catalog we know the Bravo is for Europe. So then there were 4. Most are saying the N1 is the Passion which leaves 3. Dragon, PassionC and Incredible. Strangely there are 3 carriers without a snapdragon android phone.

Upvote 0
Hence I don't think the N1 is going to be the end all be all of HTC phones.
but but the N1 was designed "from the ground up by google"!!! OMG OMG. Remember how many times we read that phrase in the blogs, like it was s good thing that a search engine company was taking control of the design of a phone! Really made me physically nauseous reading the hype about the N1 on blogs like TechCrunch. I remember them saying the phone will revolutionize the teleco industry. Now that it's real, the reaction is more "meh". Granted I would buy one if it were on VZW but hopefully we'll get something better. (end rant)
But I'm guessing that Google paid HTC a huge incentive to sell the phone as theirs.
Google paid HTC for the phones. Like, put it a big order for them. I'm not sure if they paid them extra for exclusivity. I'm thinking if Google worked with HTC to design it, as has been over-reported, then it probably cost Google a bit more to buy the phones and yes it would be exclusive.

Upvote 0
If Google really designed these phones..do you think they would have kept trackballs? I don't. I think they got a discount for clearing out HTC's trackball inventory ;)

There isnt really anything "game-changing" about the N1 besides it being HTC's latest Android handset with the latest CPU and the latest version of Android.

Which is not to say I wouldnt pick up one on Verizon but I think I would prefer a trackpad and not have any moving parts.

Upvote 0
but but the N1 was designed "from the ground up by google"!!! OMG OMG. Remember how many times we read that phrase in the blogs, like it was s good thing that a search engine company was taking control of the design of a phone! Really made me physically nauseous reading the hype about the N1 on blogs like TechCrunch. I remember them saying the phone will revolutionize the teleco industry. Now that it's real, the reaction is more "meh". Granted I would buy one if it were on VZW but hopefully we'll get something better. (end rant)

Thats another thing. It was my understanding after the G1 with its not so great hardware that Google didn't have anything to do with the hardware of the N1 except of maybe specs it had to meet. Hence the hardware was all HTC (as it should be). I would think since they made the hardware base HTC has more to show, especially since they've been the quite ones so far.
Though yes the N1 has not lived up to the hype. Quite honestly even with some of the Sense UI integration I would be waiting on an announcement of a HTC Sense android phone if the N1 came to verizon.

Upvote 0
Ok so I spoke to the HTC regional rep and he said that the nexus and passion is the same phone, the nexus is actually made by htc or at least parts are. That will be a gsm phone meaning that verizon will not get the passion. I don't know what the regional verizon president was smoking when he told me over one million units were ordered of an android phone but its not the passion. Now incredible will be a bit different than nexus and passion but HTC rep assured me it really is incredible and its not do out until april 2010!!!

On the bright side eris will have a 2.1 over the air automatic update in the next couple of weeks.

Will keep you guys posted as I hear more

Like everyone, I want Verizon to get a new HTC android phone now.
But doesn't it seem more usual for Verizon to get a new HTC phone in April or later? Has any other phone been released in the US especially on Verizon so much ahead of any other country? I can understand the Nexus One being released before other regions but, it just seems more usual for other regions to get the new HTC android phone first before Verizon in the US. I'm not really sure. Any opinions on this? Thanks.

Upvote 0

I hear you. But twice I've heard Verizon was ready to launch this HTC phone in early December and HTC wasn't ready. That doesn't sound like Verizon turning anything down. It's a complete head scratcher. Maybe the Passion was going to be yet another HTC phone but Google stepped in and took a stake in what it was going to be, thus Verizon said no thanks at that point. Maybe. Hard to say. Whatever it was, it's sounding like Verizon was willing to accept another Android offering from HTC in December. Something happened along the way.

Upvote 0
i think all options are open until google has its special conference on the 5th, after the 5th... i think im going to make a decision on what phone to get (or if there is no information about the new motorola then i'll decide on the 6th when they have their announcements - but i'd think google will include everything they got on their special Jan. 5th day) ... whatever i hear, im not going to wait another month for a new phone, i've been waiting long enough. whatever android phone comes out next is the one i'm probably going to get - unless it proves to be not as powerful as the droid - then i'm going straight to the store and getting the droid. The droid isn't going anywhere. i'd go and get it right now if not for curiosity. but i need a phone EARLY JANUARY before i leave for college. the only thing i've been hearing from VZW is that the motorola's will be launched early january and launched next week. if not, its droid for me. im tired of waiting on speculation of dates (i.e. Q1 2010 - too broad of a time frame).

so just wait 5 days from now and im sure we'll get our answers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones