• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any non-rooted Dinc owners receive OTA update?

Mischka7

Apr 9, 2010
Hi all,

I don't want to start a flame war, but I've heard from two people that they've received an OTA update notification. One of them has a rooted phone, the other person is an acquaintance and I don't know if their phone is rooted or not.

Personally I think it might have something to do with rooted Dinc's (I haven't gotten a notice) but just to be sure, has anyone else received an update notice?

Thanks,
Mike

There is no official release for software for the DInc right now. I work for vzw, and thers nothing. Theres a Eric release today, thats all.

Thanks for the comment and for everyone's replies. I confirmed that the other person does have a rooted Droid, so maybe the OTA they received was a glitch.

@Divine - That's the same exact reason I started refreshing my "software update" screen. The Evo got an update, let's see if we get one too. There have been a number of glitches on my Dinc I have seen on this forum, and it looks like a software update would resolve them.

Upvote 0
There is no official release for software for the DInc right now. I work for vzw, and thers nothing. Theres a Eric release today, thats all.

I am 99% sure you can't say, but no harm in asking anyway - any word through VZ channels on when our fixes will come?

Or, more importantly, what may get rolled out in our fixes? VZ/HTC acknowledges our signal strength and call quality issues, so perhaps those fixes too are getting rolled into the fix that the Evo got. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Wouldn't an OTA update come directly from HTC and not Verizon? I may be wrong about this. Also...did you mean Eris?

EDIT: Not rooted.
Both. It comes directly from us over the network, but its probably created from HTC, then approved and tested by us.

I am 99% sure you can't say, but no harm in asking anyway - any word through VZ channels on when our fixes will come?

Or, more importantly, what may get rolled out in our fixes? VZ/HTC acknowledges our signal strength and call quality issues, so perhaps those fixes too are getting rolled into the fix that the Evo got. Any ideas?
Yea, Froyo will come eventually. Its gonna hit Moto Droids, then X's then us i think. Not sure tho. Nothing communicated as of yet on DIncs

Upvote 0
Both. It comes directly from us over the network, but its probably created from HTC, then approved and tested by us.

Yea, Froyo will come eventually. Its gonna hit Moto Droids, then X's then us i think. Not sure tho. Nothing communicated as of yet on DIncs

Ah, but I wasn't talking about Froyo. I was asking about Evo-like fixes, to patch critical issues that some/all of us inc owners are having. I will be REALLY disappointed if VZ waits to fix Inc issues with Froyo...

Upvote 0
Many of us share the same screen response/grounding issues as the Evo, so I'm really hoping Verizon will follow suit. I was reading the Engadget comments from Evo users and many are experiencing significant troubles with the update. Maybe we are lucky Verizon runs more exhaustive tests before releasing things to the public.

According to HTC, they have not had many reports of this problem on the Incredible. When I called them, the person said he would submit my problem but there wasnt really that many reports of it. They wanted me to do a hard reset.

If you have this problem, please call or email HTC directly. Maybe then it will get the attention.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I don't want to start a flame war, but I've heard from two people that they've received an OTA update notification. One of them has a rooted phone, the other person is an acquaintance and I don't know if their phone is rooted or not.

Personally I think it might have something to do with rooted Dinc's (I haven't gotten a notice) but just to be sure, has anyone else received an update notice?

Thanks,
Mike

verizon would have no way of knowing OTA if your phone is rooted or not, only way to tell is by physically looking at the phone. Now if there is a leak, as many eris users have found out, you will not receive an OTA because it detects that the software is already on your phone and skips over it

Upvote 0
According to HTC, they have not had many reports of this problem on the Incredible. When I called them, the person said he would submit my problem but there wasnt really that many reports of it. They wanted me to do a hard reset.

If you have this problem, please call or email HTC directly. Maybe then it will get the attention.
I'm sure HTC knows all about it. Its just that a lot of HTC reps are clueless. You can call one rep and have them say "its a known issue" or "we are getting reports..." and another that says "there isn't any known issues" or "this hasn't been reported". HTC is useless in that regard.

Upvote 0
I didn't get to ask my co-worker what he meant, but he said he got an OTA this morning (east coast)- I'm on the east coast right now but have a west coast number. He said he received a text? Didn't get to inquire further about it, like you all I checked update and it said I was up to date. I'll find out exactly what he meant tomorrow, but I bet more that this happened to will be posting today.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones