Any other good phones coming out in UK?

Last Updated:

1. TheTrueSpin

TheTrueSpin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I had an HTC Desire (actually I had 4) before I got a refund due to a whole host of technical problems. Given that the problems I encountered don't seem to be widespread (mostly concerning the vibrate mechanism failing), I am thinking I may have just got caught up in a bad batch and am considering trying again.

I tried other phones but nothing really compares to the Desire at the moment. The iPhone 4 looks nicer, but the OS bores me to death and it seems there are far more technical problems with the iPhone than the Desire at the moment.

I have looked around for other upcoming phones and, aside from the Evo 4g which is not in the UK, I can see no other alternatives to the desire. Am I missing any other options?

I don't consider the Galaxy S an alternative as it looks and feels like a cheap plastic toy.

Advertisement
  2. kingvortex

kingvortex Well-Known Member

3. samdale36

samdale36 Well-Known Member

I only got my Desire about a month ago so have recently done the looking around for a phone thing....

I personally couldn't find anything that matches the desire on both form and function. There are a number of touch screen phones out at the moment that use the Symbian OS (such as Nokia's phones) but it doesn't come anywhere close to Android. Other phones also seem really plasticy and tacky.

4. TheTrueSpin

Agree... the only phone that seems to have anything on the Desire is the iPhone, but that is only because of its build. The under lying hardware and software is either on par or, in the case of the OS, below par.

5. TheTrueSpin

6. jay_kay

jay_kay Well-Known Member

5th time lucky maybe ;)

7. kingvortex

kingvortex Well-Known Member

It seems so by Expansys's description, but if you look around, other sources say it has a 720MHz CPU. Besides, clock speed isn't everything ;)
    It might be worth your while to wait and see if the Droid/Milestone 2 gets a UK release as it's rumoured to have a 1GHz CPU with 8GB:eek: of internal storage.

8. krogers

krogers New Member

I currently have a HTC Magic, and my contract will be ending in a couple of months. I've been looking around to see what I might want to upgrade to, but all the really nice new phones (evo, incredible) look like they are not going to be released in the UK.

9. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Underneath the hood, the galaxy s is a better phone, but yes, I much prefer the look and style of the desire

10. KING LUFF

KING LUFF Well-Known Member

Personally i don't like the Motorolla range, i think the widgets are pretty poor compared to HTC Sense....

Although similar, have you tried the Nexus One???? With 2.2 pretty much there now, it could be a good option for you

11. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

The issue is Samsung will wash their hands of it once released and any ROM updates only come from the developers/fanbase.

The i5700 only gets 2.1 if you're on 3. Otherwise, tough according to Samsung and the networks.

And Hero owners thought they had it tough.

12. carwacster

carwacster Well-Known Member

I loved my Nokia 5800 prior to the desire nice battery life,tv out, great for GPS
    and mountain biking.

I also trialled the Nokia E72 with qwerty keyboard, amazing build quality, untouchable battery life, data up to 10.2 mb. Nice metal body. Symbian OS is not that bad. Low res screen and again excellent GPS.

Then there's the forthcoming Nokia N8 12mp camera, hdmi out, hd video, symbian v3.

a few choices.

Due to a potential redundancy i'm reluctantly considering changing my phone and contract within the permitted 28 days with Virgin.

Desire 30 pm 2 yrs
    Nokia e72 15pm 2yrs

13. KING LUFF

KING LUFF Well-Known Member

14. colrey

colrey Well-Known Member

iv seen the desire with full qwerty slide out keyboard, but no different specs, im waiting till feb,march next year for a new phone, 2 ghz processor has to be the minimum power, and android 3.0, then ill be happy, happy , happy

15. naths

naths Well-Known Member

id give the nexus one a go....

16. willis

willis Well-Known Member

Said on a pretty active Desire forum, filled with lots of people with working Desires.

Therefore: