• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Other Non-Rooters Holding Back

I also haven't bothered rooting my phone. Its not really going to do anything much for me, and the phone pretty much works sweet the way it is. Plus with updates pushed from HTC I want to be able to install these without a problem, or anything breaking in the process.

I don't need that many apps either on the phone, and with 2.2 around the corner I'll be able to install to SD anyway. So its not needed for now. :)

BTW my phones unbranded, unlocked.

Upvote 0
I can see myself becoming an "appwhore" when I root or when Froyo finally arrives. I can see myself having folders full of news icons, a folder full of football apps, another folder full of multimedia apps, etc.

I did read that Froyo's version of App2SD required the app developer to allow the option to actually install to SD, so unless developers get behind this (and there was some talk of them not doing so because installing to the phone memory is perceived as a better protection against piracy, etc), you might still have the same issue. Can anyone officially confirm/deny this? I hope it's not the case, or at the very least that developers all enable it ASAP.

I wouldn't say I was "holding back", but I'm definitely a lot more selective. If I had unlimited space and installed two or three apps with the same purpose (Tunewiki, 3/cubed etc) to trial them I'd probably be lazy and not uninstall the ones I didn't use, but since space is limited I just do a lot more research before I install and make sure I delete anything I don't like or won't use. It's not stopped me installing anything that I wanted just yet, but definitely at the back of my mind (especially since I had massive headaches with my N95 when the memory filled up as it wasn't properly clearing all its cached data and I ended up having to wipe it and start again, not fun).

Upvote 0
I also haven't bothered rooting my phone. Its not really going to do anything much for me, and the phone pretty much works sweet the way it is. Plus with updates pushed from HTC I want to be able to install these without a problem, or anything breaking in the process.

I don't need that many apps either on the phone, and with 2.2 around the corner I'll be able to install to SD anyway. So its not needed for now. :)

BTW my phones unbranded, unlocked.

My thoughts exactly.

Upvote 0
Well I have an Orange branded phone and have been having great fun (much to my better halfs annoyance) playing about with it. I use LauncherPro and custom icons to customise it a bit more and male it "my own". Have downloaded a fair few apps and uninstalled a fair few and probably could uninstall a few more and I am only up to 115mb used so still have 30Mb to play with WITHOUT an App Cull.

I have debated rooting but at the moment I can't see it being worth the hassle really. OK you gets A2SD but then I don't need that yet. You can take snapshots, well now I have PC setup so can I. You can use Titanium Pro, well that's a bonus for saving time IF IF IF your phone cocks up badly. You can use custom ROMS, well the one I have works fine and the Orange stuff I ignore.

Now if Orange drag their heels on releasing Froyo and other updates then THAT is when I would consider rooting. Until then I keep enjoying the phone as is :)

Upvote 0
A bonus of rooting is you get to use a modaco custom rom which could double or even treble battery life.

So the claim is and plus I am not having any issues with battery life. When it gets low, I plug the charger in. When it's charged and I need to wander off somewhere I unplug and take it with me. At night if it's needing a charge, I plug it in.

Not sure why people have so many issues about battery life. What the hell do you lot do with laptops etc? Hmmm :rolleyes:

DCFC79: One good site I can recommend is: Buy Memory Cards, Micro SD Memory Card, Memory Stick, SDHC Cards, Compact Flash Memory Usually cheap and no issues with service.

Upvote 0
Yeah i have rooted, thought about not doing it for a while but then took the plunge ... it took me a couple of go's however as i have 0.80 bootloader and didn't realise first time. So i rooted the phone wrongly first time and got stuck at the "Quietly Brilliant" screen.

Just got a gold card and applied a totally genric 1.45.xx ROM to it and got it working. Then i follwed this guide:

14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support - Android @ MoDaCo

Absoluetly brilliant, works perfectly!!!

Then in that same post in tells you how to dl their Fake Bake CRI and from there apply the MCR r3.1 ROM which is brilliant as it comes with A2SD+ without being a Premium member.

I must say though that i am thinking of joining up to a premium to show my gratitude!!

Upvote 0
So the claim is and plus I am not having any issues with battery life. When it gets low, I plug the charger in. When it's charged and I need to wander off somewhere I unplug and take it with me. At night if it's needing a charge, I plug it in.

Not sure why people have so many issues about battery life. What the hell do you lot do with laptops etc? Hmmm :rolleyes:

Well im fine on a normal day work/home. What I am worried about is, if i need it out and about.

The modaco rom on HTC hero seems to work well power wise. Modaco
3.2 that is.

As for laptops, I use it as my home computer so its always plugged in as is the rest of my IT kit...

That said, I can take 564687946549768489 photos with my Nikon before I'm dead.

Upvote 0
Well im fine on a normal day work/home. What I am worried about is, if i need it out and about.

The modaco rom on HTC hero seems to work well power wise. Modaco
3.2 that is.

As for laptops, I use it as my home computer so its always plugged in as is the rest of my IT kit...

That said, I can take 564687946549768489 photos with my Nikon before I'm dead.

Fair enough though I will just state that the battery thing wasn't personally directed at you :) Thanks anyway :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones