Any overclock experiences to share BESIDES the above sticky?

Last Updated:

1. Sprockethead

Sprockethead Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Not that the above sticky is not useful and interesting. For those who have not read it, there is a debate raging about the effect of a specific OC setup on battery life.

Regardless of that, has anybody else tried to overclock the processor for speed, or underclock it for battery? I am curious about a few things:

1. If you overclock the process for speed, which applications benefit? So far, there is very little lag anyway - without overclocking.

2. Is it not necessary to up the voltage going to the Evo processor when overclocking? For example, when I overclocked my home pc, I changed the voltage and the RAM timing.

3. When underclocking, if the same "stock" voltage is going to the processor anyway how does anybody expect to get battery savings? In my mind, the speed of the processor is not the issue, it is the energy that the processor consumes. (Or is this automatically handled by the widget behind the scenes?)

4. When underclocking the processor - have you experienced more lag? What is the "slowest" the processor can run before you notice anything?

5. What general experiences have you had with applications, the process, etc.

Thanks to anybody that can answer any of these questions. I know my home PC OS, bios, and hardware, but I'm a N00b in the mobile community!

Advertisement
  2. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

We can't overclock the EVO yet. Period. We do not have the kernel source from HTC.

3. Sprockethead

Wha? So why the sticky up top?

4. nick325i

nick325i Well-Known Member

5. Sprockethead

What is the difference? You're still changing the processor speed.

6. Synthetickiller

Synthetickiller Well-Known Member

I guess it's for those who want to enhance their battery life as opposed to having a faster processor. I for one think, if it works, that the drop in mhz while the system is idle should help the batter tremendously.

I'm going to test this out later.

7. Sprockethead

1. If you can't overclock the processor, why would you be able to underclock it?

2. If you don't reduce the voltage to the processor while underclocked how is is that helping the battery life?

8. TheBiles

The EVO actually automatically underclocks. I'm not sure what the point of the sticky is either. OC Widget seems to sap my battery more than it saves it.

-------------
    Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk Pro.

Roman G. likes this.
  9. HoLs

HoLs Member

I'm still undecided if it works or not. Day 1 with OC widget was great, but day 2 appears to kill my battery faster. Still testing.

10. flukeSG2

flukeSG2 Well-Known Member

I gained a tremendous amount of battery power by underclocking. I go for about 12 hours without a charge and 2 hours of hard gaming on the phone (i.e. NOVA) and at the end of the day I have 40% battery life left.

11. StuartTheFish

StuartTheFish Well-Known Member

Is there an app that allows you to underclock the CPU whenever the screen's off, then back up to full speed when you're using the phone? And is it possible without rooting?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

12. TheBiles

The EVO does this on its own. There is no need for an app.

-------------
    Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk Pro.

Roman G. likes this.
  13. Roman G.

Roman G. No-Posting Probation

I was just gonna mention that as well, I don't get it either. I have a sneaky suspicion that the OC widget and android are fighting over the clock speed.
    If it works for most it should work for all, unless they have a more underlying problem going on.
    I don't deny the fact that something is going on, what I have no idea, if you run a log it clearly shows it's not doing a thing.
    So who knows, if people think it works, more power to them.

me2u69 likes this.
  14. M1LL3RT1M3

M1LL3RT1M3 Member

I have yet to test this myself but here is the way I understand what is happening from my readings. There is a possibility that some apps are still running at full speed letting the screen sleep but keeping the proc at 100% apparently the OC Widget or SetCPU will override that and force the proc to down clock on when the screen takes a nap. Also for the question at the beginning of this thread you do not need the kernel to down clock a processor (if it is capable of 1Ghz it definitely capable of 200Mhz) Many people are reporting an amazing amount of extra battery life using the OC Widget "Correctly" and I tend to follow the masses until I see result showing the opposite on my own device, which will happen as soon as i get around to it.

Sprockethead likes this.