Any point in upgrading radio?

Last Updated:

1. mattic

mattic Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys, I have just rooted my Orange (uk) branded Desire and I am still looking around and seeing which Rom to try first.

I am aware that certain roms require at least a certain radio version in order to operator successfully.

I currently have 32.48.00.32U_5.10.05.30 which is the default Froyo Orange radio, and have had no issues with it so far. Save from it maybe taking longer to get a GPS fix, but that might just be me, and I rarely use GPS anyway.

Is there any need for me to upgrade my radio to anything newer, I read that at least 5.09.xx.xx was needed for Froyo, so technically I shouldn't need any higher?

I am currently looking at Modaco's R9, but I am pretty open to suggestions. I mainly just want a near stock rom with Sense, I could even go for a rooted stock to just wet my feet before I venture onto something a little more modified.

Cheers in advance for any input

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

R9 flashes radio anyway

mattic likes this.
  3. mattic

mattic Member This Topic's Starter

Oh really, that is good to know.

So do you think I should just go ahead with R9?

I have rooted with unrevoked. Done a titanium backup, just finished a nandroid backup and just about to backup my SD card to my PC.

Quick question about nandroid backup, if I use it to restore will I be back to the exact point I am now, ie stock Orange rom, but still rooted?

Thanks for you help danfrance, I remember it was you who gave me advice in my other thread.

4. SUroot

yep. Exactly to the point in time when you took the back up. Its a snapshot. Like a PC's ghost image.

If you're going with r9, may as well go with the A2SD+ version. Just partition an ext partition onto your SD card via rom manager (remember to "flash clockwork recovery") after you backed up your sd contents.

it should be 512MB, swap = 0. Then android will see the partition as internal memory and all your apps will automatically install there.

5. rowlers

rowlers Well-Known Member

@Mattic, how did you go about rooting?
    I too have an Orange UK Desire and I building up a plan to root - your experiences would be appreciated.
    After rooting (unrevoked) did your desire still work in the same way as before root?
    What ROM did you end up flashing?
    Did you create a goldcard?

cheers

6. SUroot

You must make a gold card on Orange. You don't need It to root, but if you f*ck up, you might not be able to fix it without one