Any reason I shouldn't upgrade from my Eris to a Samsung Fascinate?General

Last Updated:

1. akcmommy

akcmommy Member This Topic's Starter

I have had my Eris for 11 months. It works fine except for a minor glitch here or there.
    I found the Fascinate for $79.99 online which would extend my contract for another 2 years.

Any reason to not do it?

Advertisement
  2. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

I would wait for the rumored Incredible HD or HTC Merge because they will have a 4G LTE radio in them. 3G is old technology.

3. akcmommy

akcmommy Member This Topic's Starter

Any ideas as to a time frame?

4. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

Late 2010 - Early 2011

akcmommy likes this.
  5. wildtouch83

wildtouch83 Well-Known Member

I can't give you a concrete reason, but, I think the interface on the Samsung phones is garbage. Sense UI and even Moto Blur are better than Samsung in my opinion.

I would hold out for an Incredbile HD if you can.

6. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

sAMOLED2 :0

samoled is old garbage :)

7. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

Other then the fantastic screen the Fascinate is plagued with issues , I've never been so unhappy with a cell phone purchase in my life and I've made a lot of them. The Fascinate now is just sitting in a drawer in my desk until I stop being lazy and sell it. If my Incredible were to get lost or break today I would hook my Eris up not my Fascinate

8. ChicoFox

ChicoFox Active Member

I think the Eris is a beautiful phone. Why not just root it and kiss your troubles goodbye?

9. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member

I was just fooling around with someone's Fascinate today.....not worth it to me. Didn't like the feel of it either.

10. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

or wait for LTE to boom, and the prices of like the incredible or DX to go down.. i personally have no interest in 4g, 3g is good enough for me. :)
    for now anyway.

11. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

that screen made you think twice though didn't it :)

netween the nexus S, the Samsung big daddy (whatever their flagship will be called), and the LG Tegra 2 device all coming within a couple of months I can most certainly wait.....

12. ChiTownJim

The Fasinates screen is the only thing that phone has going for it

13. stanlalee

stanlalee Well-Known Member

I fooled around with a friends daily at work. Nice compromise between portability and screen size, thin and superior internal hardware and killer live wallpapers. what I didn't like is it was still on android 2.1 (meaning my rooted eris can do things it cant like wireless tethering and built in apps to sd) and really didn't like is my rooted eris stock browser absolutely destroyed her stock facinate browser speed on verizon 3g. site after site, day after day. Of course I dont have flash being rooted 2.2 eris but I didn't use any flash sites. Definately not worth it unless you can root it or just want the bigger screen. 4g devices are only a few months max away (already rolling out at t-mobile).

14. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Those same words, or very similar, are posted in just about every device forum here: "What junk! I'm outa here!" The Behold 2. "This is crap. How can they even say this so called "smartphone" was better than iPhone or even BB?" The Epic 4G... and on and on.

Look around the Eris forums; this area grew rapidly immediately following its release about a year ago, mainly because of issues.

As OTD and many others will agree on, the Eris must have had one heck of a disparity in quality control, as her reports were the same as mine: pretty much perfect, pretty much bug free.

We're seeing this disparity across the board in the smart phone world, go to the BB forums, you'll get an eye opener there, as well as iPhone's.

The phenomena of devices with a wide disparity in quality, one Fascinate/Eris/Behold/Epic/Blackberry Bold/iPhone, etc in the hands of users hollering "crap!" and one of them in the hands of users smiling and saying, "the best!" is interesting to see, not so much because it's a surprise in this world of intricate technology, but because it seems to create (fill in the blank with a phone) haters arguing with (fill in the blank with the same phone) fan boys of that self-same device.

Carry on..

(where's the Michael Jackson popcorn eating video when I need it ;))

15. ChiTownJim

Ohh I know this, I had great luck with my Eris and 2 of 3 of my Incredible . I now have had 3 Fascinates and they all have the same issues , I really really want to like this phone (fascinate) but I guess it's just not meant to be

16. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member

That screen was big enough. I guess I'm just to used to my Eris though.

17. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Actually, the form factor of the Fascinate seemed in keeping with what I'd gotten used to with the Eris, almost as if it's the Eris's big brother, despite the manufacturers being different.

I at first thought that Samsung was going after Eris users (who needs a trackball? ;)).