Any reason to get the DroidX if i have a Droid?

Last Updated:

1. nygiants10

nygiants10 Member This Topic's Starter

I really like the keyboard, does it have something that is a must have over the 1st verizon droid?

Advertisement
  2. Jake43

Jake43 Well-Known Member

I had the Droid form day one, and I got the DX on day one. Hands down DX is 20x better than Droid. Then again I didn't use the keyboard too much. But the screen... its beautiful. Faster proc is very noticeable. It is just a sexier phone, and better overall. Thinner. if you have an upgrade get the DX!

3. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

Well for starters

1.your phone is about to be Eol'd and if for some reason you need insurance to replace it you will not be able to get another Droid...you will likely get an Eris or a devour and that is a slap in the face

2. Much bigger Screen & A Much better camera than the droid's incredibly grainy camera

3. The Phone has multi-touch and the keyboard is so much better than the droid as well as swype

4. It's also been stated that the droid more then likely won't be getting any new OS updates past froyo(2.2) which means whatever goodies are coming out in the future months, you are likely not to get unless you root but even then...who knows

5. A lot more multi-media and social network integration(if you are into this stuff)

I am sure more people can think of reasons to switch over
    but the only thing i can say that may not be a reason to switch
    is the fact while rooted, you currently can't flash any roms over to the Droid X...yet

But personally the STOCK UI is a great UI and people are always talking about Launcher/Launch pro plus or whatever it's called

4. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

While everything Carmen said is true, I personally believe if you're happy with the Droid you should stick with it for the time being. I absolutely love my DX, and I really don't care about flashing roms, and I really don't use physical keyboards. If you like having a keyboard and are content for the time being, I'd say wait a while and see what the Droid 2 might bring for you. No reason to use your upgrade if you don't really need this phone, especially at the rate new android handsets are coming out.

5. carmendiva

Oh yeah i should say if you like the droid and are happy then most definitely stay with it

For it's 8 months on market, it was one of the best android phones out and is still able to hold its own a bit now

6. 1up5dn

1up5dn Well-Known Member Contributor

There are lots of reason to switch to the X. It would actually be easier to give the reasons NOT to... 1. Physical keyboard (I ended up never using it anymore, but if you do, then that's a reason) 2. Wait for a 4G phone. 3. ?????

7. Eryl Flynn

Eryl Flynn Well-Known Member

Another thing to consider, the Droid 2 comes out next month. Same size, physical keyboard. The major difference is the internal hardware. It will have same processor, hardware and memory internally but with a 5mp camera and 8gb flash card.

8. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus Well-Known Member

If you already have a Droid and you like it, I wouldn't upgrade to a Droid X. I would wait for a 4G gingerbread phone.

The differences between the DX and the Droid are there, but they aren't enormous. And if you like the Droid's keyboard, you might not like the DX's lack of a physical keyboard.

Unless your Droid breaks and you get an Eris or Ally, I would stick with it until Gingerbread phones pop up.

9. lesscryptic2

lesscryptic2 Well-Known Member

exactly

your phone is fine for now. dont waste an upgrade until there are phones out that blow the droid completely out of the water (the x, as far as im concerned, does not)

10. schimm

schimm Well-Known Member

MUCH faster. If you're a rooter, then you've fixed that. I rooted my Droid a few months ago and glad I did because it turned it into a different phone. Now, if you don't use active widgets or otherwise stress its CPU much then speed might not be a bottleneck, but it certainly was for me. The stock Droid is simply way too slow IMO. Froyo will help quite a bit, but when is that coming out????

11. tranceFusion

tranceFusion Well-Known Member

I am actually wondering the opposite. I love the DX but I am disappointed that I can't play the nes/snes emulators with a physical keyboard, and wondering how painful it will be to switch to an original droid.

12. androy

androy Well-Known Member

I don't have much of a problem playing nes/snes on the X. You can adjust the onscreen controls and I found that making the control tiny make it easier to play. Or you can always get a Wii remote and play it via bluetooth.

13. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

14. xdroid

xdroid Well-Known Member

You should try the touch keyboard on the DX, and I mean really try it. I thought that I would never want to switch from a physical keyboard until I tried the touch keyboard on the DX. If you still don't like the touch keyboard, you can wait til the Droid 2 comes out which is essentially a Droid X in the original Droid chasis.

15. carmendiva

Aleis beat me to it but yeah you should "lose" the droid sometime in August :)

16. Jim Dawson

Jim Dawson Well-Known Member

I want the X to get rid of the physical keyboard but all the talk of the lack of ringer volume and weak vibrate on the X has me rethinking my decision.

17. carmendiva

The vibrate is weak but the ringtone volume isn't that bad(i dont consider the to be deal breakers)

18. darreno1

darreno1 Well-Known Member

What Carmen said. Couldn't have said it better. However it still comes down to your personal preferences. If the Droid is getting the job done and you have no pressing reason to switch other than the DX is something 'new', then it's probably better to keep it till something else comes along. My main reason for switching was the bigger screen, followed by the speed. Had it come with a 3.7 instead with the same specs, I'd have passed.

19. esn

esn Well-Known Member

I just purchased my two boys the droid and they are great no issues at all. I always steered away from the droid for its looks but now I kinda like it.

20. bennec

bennec Well-Known Member

I've had both now. The only thing I like better about the Droid is the sound was much louder. I'm not saying it was of better quality, but the slit on the Droid X for the sound is too small IMO and I don't like that the Droid X sound simply isn't loud enough for notifications, playing music, or entertainment. Whether a software upgrade will be able to correct this problem, I don't know. I can't seem to find a good answer on this researching forums. If it is a hardware issue, then unfortunately this might be a deal breaker for some folks who were thinking about this phone.

Droid X much better otherwise.

21. tranceFusion

tranceFusion Well-Known Member

Say what? You can? How the heck do you do this?