Any reason to unroot and accept OTA update if you're already rooted?

Last Updated:

1. durangojim

durangojim Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I rooted my DINC and have the wifi hotspot which I've used for free. I don't really care about 720p, so is there any reason for me to accept the OTA update? Does it improve performance in any way?

Advertisement
  2. Le0_Br4zUc4

Le0_Br4zUc4 Well-Known Member

I did unroot my phone to install the leaked OTA and i'm happy with it, I never had a signal issue but I do have more bars everywhere I go, I like the new mail widgets and the 720p video record.

One problem that I have is that some of the apps I use a lot are not in the market for some reason, apps like slingmedia, mysteryguitarman and so on, I am doing some research to figure out how to do to fix the problem but so far no luck.

3. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Are the apps still functioning on your phone? This seems odd, since apps are mainly linked to your Google account. I have changed several phones, two carriers and three OS levels, rooted (G1) with never a missing app.

I wonder if root cause is you were previously rooted and this has caused an issue?

I was getting ready to update, but will hold off now until the missing app issue is clarified.

Accidental pun: "root" cause...

4. DaveS024

DaveS024 Well-Known Member

I rooted last night and was wondering if i unroot will i lose swype? and IF I get the update notification while rooted, can i still try to do the system update? Thanks for the help ;)

5. Hand76

Hand76 Guest

I am going to wait. There are a few chances you take when doing it this way. Especially if the official Verizon ota differs at all from the leaked version people are downloading now.

I am just going to wait on a root friendly rom when the time comes. This is not an update I feel the need to rush or risk to get.

Plus one thing that has never been explained to me is why do you need to unroot before downloading the update if the ota update (which you will get on a stock rom) unroots for you?

Bottom line is the ota is not out yet, people are not 100% sure of anything, I SAY WAIT!