• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root any reason why astro and mybackup wont backup apps, but titanium will?

I have no trouble with Astro backing up user apps - it won't back up apps tagged as system apps though (so it won't grab onto bundleware by design, for example, therefore not give easy access to distribute same).

That _could_ be the issue you're facing... not sure how'd you'd check that attribute off hand.

But anything you added from the Market should be backup/restorable by Astro.

Reactions: mobileman70
Upvote 0
Nothin doin. It won't back up anything. Mybackup will proceed throughout the 'backing up' procedure and then say zipping the file failed. Something is really messed up here. Among other things I've been noticing is that apps that use root constantly give the '___ has been granted superuser permissions' and that while using the app powerswitch, going to home causes redrawing of homescreens, tested on both Sense and LauncherPro.

I'm about to follow the advice of your fix froyo thread and factory reset. That'll bring me back to version _____?

I do have a NAND of my phone immediately after I used the 'starting over' method that gets you to 2.1 stock but with root. I'm trying to figure out which way to go here.

Upvote 0
Nothin doin. It won't back up anything. Mybackup will proceed throughout the 'backing up' procedure and then say zipping the file failed. Something is really messed up here. Among other things I've been noticing is that apps that use root constantly give the '___ has been granted superuser permissions' and that while using the app powerswitch, going to home causes redrawing of homescreens, tested on both Sense and LauncherPro.

I'm about to follow the advice of your fix froyo thread and factory reset. That'll bring me back to version _____?

I do have a NAND of my phone immediately after I used the 'starting over' method that gets you to 2.1 stock but with root. I'm trying to figure out which way to go here.
I have no problems backing up my apps with Mybackup.
Sounds like it might have a problem writing to the sdcard.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

That's just bizarre that Astro won't capture those either... I wonder if it has anything to do with your stuff being deodexed and then it loses its mind?

The factory reset should leave you exactly as you are with your present rom and revision - it's not pulling / restoring anything from a secret stash, so far as I know, it's just clearing out app data and caches (and thereby taking all prefs back to their defaults).

I just used nandroid to take me to my stable 2.2 (stock rooted odexed) and then started the usual tinkering from there.

I don't seriously mind when I screw up things with whatever I'm tinkering on at any given time so long as I have my trusty backups and backups of backups.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones