Any recommendations on a car charger for the EVO 4G LTETips

1. kapplcd

kapplcd New Member

Anyone have any recommendations on a evo 4g lte car charger. All the ones I've purchased so far are unable to keep up with the phone when using navigation. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I use the premium charger by Rocketfish. I bought it at BestBuy when I worked there and it is the best charger I have used and can keep up with my SII while navigating, streaming music, and tethering. Most other chargers I tried couldn't keep up.
  3. PattiCakeUS

PattiCakeUS Well-Known Member

This might be a silly question, but what do you mean by "keep up"? I'm using the same charger I used for my Evo Shift.
  4. Kevin C

Kevin C Well-Known Member

I am still using the dual charger that I got from Sprint for me OG EVO.
    It works like a charm...
    Gladius Nova likes this.
  5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

PattiCakeUS likes this.
  6. PattiCakeUS

PattiCakeUS Well-Known Member

Hmm.... I thought my charger was working fine but now you guys have me wondering. I'm never in the car for very long so maybe it's not good enough and I just don't know it :p
  7. kapplcd

kapplcd New Member

thanks for the suggestion. I was using one from monoprice their 2.1a charger. The GPS was on without screen dimming and I was still getting a slow burn on the battery. In 20 minutes of using the charger with GPS I lost about 2% battery power
  8. EarlyMon

I use nav through the car app, I believe that it does dim, so maybe that's why.
  9. OstrichSaK

OstrichSaK Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed that our generic car chargers from our previous Evo 4G phones don't work on the Evo LTE. We had one fail and recently ordered a couple more and they were really cool because they were retractable. Very handy and less clutter floating around the vehicles. I need to find some inexpensive retractable chargers w/decent length cables, high output for quick charging (and 'keeping up') that will work on the Evo LTE and then I'll be set. Right now I've got a couple 12v/USB adapters like EarlyMon posted and some USB cables that work but they are awfully messy compared to the retractable ones we used to use. I believe it's a pinout issue with the USB/HDMI port on these devices. Couple this with the low power output of some aftermarket chargers and you end up with the issues mentioned in this thread.
  10. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

The wall charger that comes with the LTE only has a 1A output... I don't see why the 1A charger EarlyMon linked wouldn't do it and I'd almost be afraid to use the 2.1A charger. If the phone is pulling a steady +2A there is a possibility of damage.

Maybe something is wrong with your charger...
  11. EarlyMon

Another thing just hit me - if your phone is running warm due to working a bit on nav (typical) and if it's in the sun on a hot summer absorbing heat, the battery won't charge as well as at all. Too hot or too cold doesn't help charging.

I'd expect the phone's safety circuitry to prevent it from ever drawing as much as 2 A, but if in doubt, sure, stick with a lower-powered charger - exactly why I chose the 1 A model. Rather have a phone not charge than face issues when I'm driving, but then, I'm a totally OCD safety freak about driving.
    marctronixx likes this.
  12. bearballz

bearballz Well-Known Member

I have Duracell branded charger I bought at my local Marshalls for around $6.00 that seems to work pretty well.

Was listening to one of my podcasts a few weeks ago and someone mentioned that if can you find a charger whether it be a wall or car around the 2 amp range it will charge your phone in about half the time and not damage your phone.
  13. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

The phone won't take more than 1A from a charger.
    From a charger which is able to provide 2A, so the phone would take up to 1A.

When the phone takes 1A from from a 1A charger, so the phone will be charged in the same time as with a 2A charger :)

BTW, for such powerfull phones like EVO 4G LTE or my One X, HTC should move the phones 1A charging limit up to 2A like tablets have it.

Harry
    bearballz likes this.
  14. bearballz

bearballz Well-Known Member

Ah Ok, didn't know if this was true or not.
  15. yepjimmy

yepjimmy Member

Yea I had the same problem using general car chargers. Due to the big screen, this phone needs 1000ma (1A) charger to keep up the charge during navigation.
    I got HTC OEM usb car charger from Amazon and it works fine.
  16. quijibo

quijibo Well-Known Member

njweb likes this.
  17. Kevin C

Kevin C Well-Known Member

18. kanezfan

kanezfan Well-Known Member

the phone doesn't seem to charge in my car, ever. I'm using the same charger and micro USB cable I was using with my GS3. It charged my GS3 just fine but won't charge this phone. The light on top of the phone comes on, the battery shows as charging in settings, but the best it does is to keep the same charge throughout the day, and most of the time it actually loses its charge. I was reading that this phone needs at least 1A from the charger to charge up. How can I tell if it's pulling 1A from the charger or not?
  19. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

The charger may be defective, or not compatible with the LTE. I'd try another charger and see. Not sure on that one.
    PattiCakeUS likes this.
  20. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

To see the correct amount of amperes that the phone pulls is only possible with an ampere meter on the phone's microUSB socket.
    Battery apps can only tell how much amperes the phone's battery while charging pulls, but not that additionally amperes that the phone pulls for its electronic.

But with a battery app like Battery Monitor Widget you'll see how much your phone pulls in the car while navigation and other apps are running. For this to see, the phone should just discharging without a charger connected.
    So, if you'd see, say -800mA amperage, you'll know, when charging there won't much amperage left for the battery to charge.

Harry
    marctronixx likes this.
  21. C21Realtor

C21Realtor Active Member

I use the motorola car charger. It's good for my 2 EVO LTE's in 2 cars, each with that moto charger with the blue light. I think I paid $20 when new, but they are around $10 now. Always charges, even with nav blazing away at full brightness, and me making calls at the same time with blue tooth. That's how I roll.
    PattiCakeUS and EarlyMon like this.