Any ROM compatible with Pandora?

Last Updated:

1. Medic713

Medic713 Member This Topic's Starter

Ever since I rooted and flashed a couple ROMs my Pandora audio quality has been CRAP. I have searched for answers in this forum and have come up empty handed... I really like the performance I'm getting now that I'm rooted but Pandora is a must have for me - so if I can't get it fixed I'll have to go back to stock - BOO.

Does anyone know of a ROM that gives the same audio quality as the stock 2.1 OS?

Or does anyone know if I'm maybe just doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any constructive help!

Advertisement
  2. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

every rom i have used works with pandora flawless. did you bump to hi quality in pandora settings?

3. sch911

sch911 Well-Known Member

Have had many ROM's, and never had any issues with Pandora...

How does the Music Player app sound? Do you have a HW issue?

4. Medic713

I tried the high setting to no avail. Also, the music player works fine playing MP3 files.

I got frustrated and rolled back to the 2.1 rooted OS a bit ago and Pandora runs fine. The issue seems to be when I jump to 2.2. I tried the stock 2.2 and the new BB v.04, both produced crappy sound from Pandora...

5. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest the high quality setting as well, but it looks like you've tried that. All I can say is that BB 0.3 & 0.4 and the most recent release of Kangerade have worked without issue.

6. Froid

Froid Well-Known Member

I don't use Pandora, but I have noticed that Slacker's sound quality is much worse since I rooted and flashed Froyo. Don't know....

7. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

I've used every Bugless Beast and Kangerade ROM and with each one Pandora has been fine. In fact, I'm listening to Pandora right now as I type this and the audio quailty is great.

8. Jeff_T

Jeff_T Member

I've actually been using Pandora a bit over the past week, since I've had BBv4 and it's been working very well. Sounds great and no lag/stopping probs (that i'd have with my berry).

9. nofxdan

nofxdan Active Member

I have noticed that Pandora sounds a little "flatter" since switching over to 2.2... I'm currently running BB 0.3, and no matter what I do, I don't seem to get the rich, bassy sound I had before upgrading.

It's not TERRIBLE for me, but I know it was better before.

I have noticed that Pandora skips much less (almost never) on high quality than it did when I first got the phone, but that probably has more to do with the application's code than the rom itself.

10. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I use Pandora, Slacker, and last.fm daily. No issues here.

11. BAC5.2

BAC5.2 Well-Known Member

I use Pandora almost daily. On BBv0.4, it sounds exactly the same as it did on 2.1.

12. growler13

growler13 Well-Known Member

I've noticed issues with Pandora and last.fm having some quality issues but only on some songs. Some sound fantastic and others sound flat and low quality. I can't think of an answer as to why some sound good and others don't. Possibly something to do with how the programs rate your signal quality and then stream music?

13. d-man

d-man Active Member

I had noticed this too, but thought it must be my imagination. (BB 0.4)

Good to know I'm not going crazy...

14. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Well-Known Member

I noticed this, and moved my car dock up the windshield. This seemed to of helped the issue to some degree. I will have to check the high quality setting.

15. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

+1

16. daNutz

daNutz Active Member

the only time i had problems with pandora on roms is when i installed different roms and didn't wipe... make sure you try wiping data&cache before installing a new rom then try pandora again. hope this helps

17. dja1980

dja1980 Well-Known Member

I'm having the same problem... have tried Kangerade and BuglessBeast. I did a search on this issue last week and came up with several documented threads on this same topic. Unfortunately, I haven't found any fixes yet. The consensus seems to be that since 2.2 isn't officially released, Pandora no longer recognizes that it's streaming to the Moto Droid. Since it doesn't know the capabilities of the phone, it automatically streams at the lower quality regardless of the setting.

For those of you who state that you are not having issue, are you just listening through the speaker on your phone, or are you playing through an audio system such as your car stereo? I don't really notice a difference though the the phone speaker, but when listing through my car system, the difference is huge... very tinny.

18. Froid

Froid Well-Known Member

I've noticed the same thing with Slacker. If I'm just using the external speaker on my phone I can't tell any difference, but when I listen through my Bose QC15s the difference is big. Like you said, very tinny.

19. klwheat

klwheat Well-Known Member

I have to agree with above. I've tried out a couple of different roms this week...currently on BB v0.4. I use pandora through my motorcycle helmet during my commute...NO issues with 2.1 or 2.2 at all. Did you perhaps change rom and NOT wipe first? Only suggestion that comes to mind.

20. Medic713

BINGO!!

I rolled back to the 2.1 root, then wiped data/cache several times. Now I'm running BB v0.4 with Chevy's ULV 1.2ghz kernel and the Droid is flying! Pandora is crystal clear too! WOOT

Suggest anyone having audio issues with Pandora simply wipe really well and reinstall!

21. klwheat

klwheat Well-Known Member

Always a good recommendation...good hygiene is sooo underrated..LOL:D:D

22. randallman

randallman Active Member

I have the same exact issue... Not sure why a wipe data/cache would help since I already had to do that to go from 2.1 OTA to 2.1 rooted... And then from 2.1 rooted to 2.2 FRF84B...

Also, I noticed that the 'Is the headphone plugged in' detection for at least pandora doesn't work anymore... it keeps playing through when the headphones are removed.

Its almost like there's some EQ settings that were in the default 2.0/2.1 OTAs that are not in the FRF84Bclean?

23. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

I notcied this a few times on a few songs as well - to me, it seems as if Pandora starts out HQ but dumps back to LQ if it encounters BW problems, b/c the same problems hits me in the same area - an an area that, coincidentally, my bro loses reception every single time he is on a call an in my car on his hero.

I wipe on every install - I prefer clean installs to dirty ones. I still encounter this issue, though.

I never tried the headphone jack as I am all about BT now, but I'll check that out and see if it makes a difference - you may be on to something there....

24. zex

zex Member

I am having the same issue with Slacker and Pandora I have tried a full wipe but still same flat sound running BB V0.4

25. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

To all the people experiencing flatness / lackluster sound: Are you in good reception areas?