Any Screen Scratches Without Protection?General

Last Updated:

1. SeattleYanksFan

SeattleYanksFan Well-Known Member

This question is for those who have used their Galaxy Nexus without a screen protector for at least about a month or more.

Any scratches? If so, are we talking cringe-worthy scratches or little nicks you can hardly notice?

I've had a screen protector on mine since day one - about 3 months - and I'm getting tired of it. I finally convinced myself to take the phone out of the case. Now I've gotten greedy and would love to take off my XO skin, but just thought I'd see just how susceptible to scratching this glass is based on some of your experiences first.

Advertisement
  2. darty

darty Member

I've had mine since Dec 8th (Canada release) and have not used a screen protector, kept mostly in my pocket, a few low drops onto a wood floor, but fairly well guarded and haven't gotten a single scratch on it. Still looks as good as the day I got it, but keep in mind I've taken pretty good care so far.
  3. PhilosoRaptor

PhilosoRaptor Well-Known Member

Same here, except after just a couple months if being in my pocket, I started seeing very light scratches on the display glass. So I put an XO skin on it in order to prevent further damage. I highly recommend the XO over Zagg. Much better feel to use and no orange peel texture on it at all.
  4. tispectrum

tispectrum Well-Known Member

Bought it when it came out in the USA. Keep it in my pocket with my handkerchief, no scratches.
  5. ThEoRy36O

ThEoRy36O Well-Known Member

Mixed bag. Some talk of scratches here and there. I played it safe with an xo skin.
  6. brandonhutch

brandonhutch Well-Known Member

Naked Gnex here and have a couple extremely minor scratches ... nothing "cringe worthy". Keep it in my pocket at all times but nothing else in the pockets. I do, however, use it on the golf course and, living in the desert, sometimes grains of sand get in ... but again, nothing worth getting upset over.
  7. Jay3

Jay3 Well-Known Member

No protector, no scratches. Had it since launch.
  8. the7nd

the7nd Well-Known Member

I have had mine for 3 months. I only use a silicone case. I have had no scratches.
  9. SeattleYanksFan

SeattleYanksFan Well-Known Member

Well, you guys convinced me. Took off my XO Skin and all I can say is, wow! I totally forgot how much better the screen feels naked. I will hope for the best, but even a few small scratches are worth the far smoother feel.
  10. quiklives

quiklives Well-Known Member

I've had mine, screen naked, sometimes a minimal case on it, since December with no scratches. Just held it up to reflect the light from the window just to double check, but no light scratches as you described either. Have dropped it on tile twice, once with and once without a case, no problems.
  11. blackyblackguy

blackyblackguy Well-Known Member

Had mine since release and i was actually debating getting a screen protector but im not sure if i want one just yet. I have no scratches at all on my phone
  12. RadOD

RadOD Active Member

I got scratches without a screen protector. Never used them until the Gnex. OG Droid lasted 2 years without a scratch but GNex scratched real easy - just small ones.
  13. MerkurMan

MerkurMan Member

I also picked up some scratches on my Nexus' screen in the short time I ran it without a screen protector.

First day I had it, dropped it on the floor and a piece of grit left behind a ding.

Little while later, picked up a mystery scratch (in the same spot as the first) from either pocket carry or a piece of grit on my finger.

I wouldn't run it without a protector, but my use and treatment of the phone may differ from yours. As a coincidence, I did pull off my cheap $5/3 pack dry apply protector today, as it was getting a little hazy and scratched up after being on for a month or so. I'm just carefully enjoying the naked screen before I go ahead and throw on another one. :)
  14. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Well-Known Member

No protector since release day. Just have micro scratches that are visible only in direct sunlight. Not worth having a protector in my opinion, hate the feeling.
    metalbiker likes this.
  15. eaknet

eaknet Active Member

Had nexus for about 1.5 months, naked, zero scratches, light or otherwise.
    metalbiker likes this.
  16. JamesSJ

JamesSJ Well-Known Member

I am a light user. Tried a screen protector but I did not like the feel or how it dimmed the brilliant display. No scratches yet.
  17. dguy

dguy Well-Known Member

Had mine since December 15. No screen protector and it is always in my pocket. No scratches.
    metalbiker likes this.
  18. iso100

iso100 Member

My wife's Nexus got two small scratches. She doesn't remember when it could have happened. Mine is also bare and has no scratches.
  19. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

Have had mine since launch had a screen protector for a few days without since and I always have it in the my pocket with either keys or my other phone .. no scratches
  20. balders

balders Well-Known Member

I picked up a little scratch with out one on.

I've got one on now, just one of the really cheap no name brands from eBay and its only noticeable if you look round the edges. Can't complain with
  21. metalbiker

metalbiker Well-Known Member

to be honest ive had my nexus for a little over a month i do have a hybrid case but no protector and there isnt even a scratch on it yet (knock on wood). and i use it basically all day. plus i did the drop test more than once to prove to ppl that androids are solid and well built (for those iphone are supperior ppl... eventho they all have glass falling off the back of theirs). i stand behind my nexus and can say it is the best phone ive ever had the pleasure of using...
  22. joesixpack

joesixpack Well-Known Member

No scratches on the one I have now, but I had some on my old one (warranty exchange). They mysteriously appeared after a trip to the beach. One friendly piece of advice - SAND IS NOT YOUR FRIEND!
    metalbiker likes this.
  23. Droid Samurai

Droid Samurai Well-Known Member

24. Perec

Perec Member

No protection. I'm carrying mine in pocket with keys and coins for more than half year. Just one small scratch. Great phone.
  25. MutantCheese

MutantCheese Well-Known Member

Launch day. no screen protection. no scratches. cargo pants pocket (no other riders)