Any Serious Complaints?General

1. IHateMyTreo

IHateMyTreo Well-Known Member

Just curious to hear from the early adopters. I'm thinking of getting one for Mrs. Treo, who insists on a physical keyboard. Root/ROM is not an issue. This is primarily a phone, texting device and browser.

Any complaints such as I'm hearing on the Nexus forum, like poor radios, 1-way audio, data drops, etc?

Advertisement
    :
  2. AMTrombley0924

AMTrombley0924 VIP Member VIP Member

The only thing that people are not liking is the qHD screen. While I personally don't mind it, people coming from high end screens on the Rezound and Nexus HATE it. Apparently it ghosts like there's no tomorrow. I see it, but again, I'm not a HUGE screen buff, so I don't mind it.

That and for some, the non-removable battery is a turn-off. Although, for a 4G LTE phone, this baby has some really exceptional battery life. Add Smart Actions or Juice Defender, and you'll have no problem getting through a day unless you're streaming music or video all day.

Overall I'm VERY happy with this phones build quality, keyboard, call quality, speed. It's definitely a great powerhouse.

Hope this helped!
    IHateMyTreo likes this.
  3. chaos0822

chaos0822 Member

I really like it as well. I had to exchange my first one for dead pixels, and my current one has one as well, but on the HD screen most people are hard pressed to see them. The ghosting is a bit annoying, but since one can't easily read moving text anyways it's not really a functional issue. I'm personally not a huge fan of the keyboard, but that's mostly because I got used to the one on the OG DROID with it's soft keys with no spacing. This one just "clicks" a bit too much for my liking. As with most Motorola/VZW phones, it's got a locked boot loader and tons of useless apps, but rooting is easy enough (no custom ROMS for a while though). Some people will find the lack of included SD card annoying, but it's nice that it's got a lower price tag. The Wifi can be a little iffy... but this was rather typical of Gingerbread (disconnecting for no reason,etc).

Positives: very impressive 4g performance, really good call quality and generally impressive hardware.
    IHateMyTreo likes this.
  4. Blrfl

Blrfl Well-Known Member

Got mine Friday and so far, I like it. Some comments, in no particular order:

Display: It does get ugly when scrolling and is a bit dull compared than the one on the Droid Eris it replaced, but it's quite serviceable. The display ghosting may be correctable in software, so we'll see what happens with that after the upgrade to Ice Cream Sammich later this year.

Keyboard: The keyboard is the best hard keyboard I've ever tried, bar none.

Users of ConnectBot take note: The extra symbols that the Droid 3's keyboard have been removed. This which makes it impossible to type several useful special characters (tilde, backslash, brackets, braces, etc.). Martin Matu
    IHateMyTreo likes this.
  5. chaos0822

chaos0822 Member

Regarding the API, that's an issue on all of this gen Motorola phones. The problem is that Google has been really advocating doing away with SD Cards all together (the Galaxy Nexus lacked one). Like you said, it is rather annoying for dealing with some apps, and it can make for some interesting situations when deciding where to put ringtones, etc (some apps won't use folders from some places). I think they had in mind that all app related stuff would go on the internal and only Music/Photos/Videos for SD card, since they were banking on people cheaping out and using slow SD cards.

I second the nomination for GO launcher... it really is sufficiently powerful without seeming buggy/slow (like ADW which did more things than I ever figured out, but was also a bit of a resource hog).
  6. jmadero

jmadero Well-Known Member

Keyboard has a defect (minor but still annoying), some keys are placed incorrectly, the S key looks upside down (some say it's italicized but to me it looks upside down), others have reported off centered keys with F, I and L keys. Makes me wonder if they allowed such an obvious mistake, how many others are tucked away that will appear shortly
    IHateMyTreo likes this.